RES appointed Asset Manager for SUN Energy’s Merredin Solar Farm
by RES | Nov 17, 2022 | Reading time: 3 min
The RES team is excited to announce that it has secured the Management Services Agreement for Merredin Solar Farm, a 100MW solar farm in Western Australia. Alongside the 3GW of assets RES is managing across the National Electricity Market, the Merredin asset management agreement re-enforces RES’ growing presence in the Wholesale Electricity Market.
Merredin Solar Farm is the first Australian project to be acquired by Indonesian company SUN Energy, a commercial and industrial-focused solar developer. To date, SUN Energy has recorded the ownership of over 280 MWp of solar energy projects in Asia Pacific, including Indonesia, Thailand, Taiwan, and Australia. SUN Energy has engaged the RES team to provide full-scope asset management services, leveraging the company’s extensive experience and established Australian team, including 20 technical/engineering specialists.
Grant Harris, Director of RES Asset Management for Asia Pacific commented: “RES is the ideal partner for SUN Energy and new investors in the Australian market. Our 35-strong Australian Asset Management team combines a wealth of experience, knowledge and established connections with industry, with a relentless focus on improving the performance of renewable energy projects, given the unique challenges Australian projects face.”
50% of energy from Merredin Solar Farm has been purchased by multi-national mining, metals and gas company, BHP, to reduce the emissions of their smelters. Chief Executive Officer of SUN Energy, Phillip Lee states, “Aligning with our extensive business growth these past years, SUN Energy needs to ensure operations run smoothly by choosing the right partner to benefit the performance and generation of Merredin Solar Farm. Accordingly, this partnership will support SUN Energy in becoming a trusted global partner and provider of solar energy.”
- RES entered the Australian market in 2004 and now employs over 130 people and has offices in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and multiple regional locations. RES is engaged in all technologies: wind, solar and storage and offers development, construction, and asset management services across Australia.
- RES manages a portfolio of 3GW of renewable assets in Australia. This includes some of the largest wind farms in the southern hemisphere: Murra Warra Wind Farm and Dulacca Wind Farm, as well as Emerald Solar Park; one of the first solar farms commissioned in Australia.
- With an industry-wide reputation for identifying innovative solutions to problems that reduce risk, cost and allow projects to progress, RES’ exceptional work was recently acknowledged with the Clean Energy Council’s Innovation Award 2022, as well as the Asset Management Award 2022 at the Wind Investment Awards.
- RES is the world’s largest independent renewable energy company and is active in onshore and offshore wind, solar, energy storage, green hydrogen, transmission and distribution. As an industry innovator for over 40 years, RES has delivered more than 23GW of renewable energy projects across the globe and supports an operational asset portfolio exceeding 10GW worldwide for a large client base. Understanding the unique needs of corporate clients, RES has secured over 1.5GW of corporate power purchase agreements (PPAs) enabling access to energy at the lowest cost. RES employs over 2,500 passionate people and is active in 11 countries.
About SUN Energy
- Founded in 2016, SUN Energy is a solar project developer providing fully-integrated services for customers to achieve sustainable development goals in the Asia Pacific region.
- Committed to being a global company, SUN Group is comprehensively leading the renewable energy ecosystem in Asia Pacific, mainly Indonesia. The Group operates through its four main business units, including:
- SUN Energy offering solar energy system solutions in large-scale buildings;
- SUNterra providing solar technology for residential areas;
- SUN Solutions prioritizes solar energy services based on consumer needs; and
- SUN Mobility supporting environmentally friendly transportation infrastructure through solar charging stations development.
- Aiming to reach 2 GWp by 2025, the company brings a vision to give an added value for its customers through a concrete action to reduce the impact of climate change. To date, SUN Group has employed more than 100 people and has owned more than 200 MWp solar projects in Indonesia, Thailand, Taiwan, and Australia.
CONTACT FOR FURTHER INFORMATION/MEDIA ENQUIRIES:
Name: Susan Findlay Tickner
Job title: Communications Manager
Phone: 0428 622 352
Email: [email protected]
Name: Anggita Pradipta
Job title: Head of Marketing SUN Energy
Phone: +62 811 1464 520
Email: [email protected]