RES currently has positions open for Estimators at our Broomfield, CO location.
Come join the world’s largest independent renewable energy company active in wind, solar, energy storage and transmission and distribution. Our vision is to be a leader in the transition where everyone has access to affordable low carbon energy. Being part of the RES team means shaping the world’s energy future.
RES offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, 401K + employer match, life insurance and AD&D, paid time off, paid sabbatical, paid parental leave, alternative work schedules, fitness center membership, tuition reimbursement, and professional development.
Provides accurate, competitive cost estimates for wind and solar construction projects in support of the company’s renewable energy development and construction business.
- Uses standardized tools and processes to prepare accurate, competitive, and timely estimates of project cost and durations.
- Resource and production estimation for heavy civil, underground electrical, structure erection, and/or solar works for self-perform construction cost estimation.
- Reading plans to estimate quantities and units of work for civil, underground electrical, and/or structure erection self-perform works.
- Assist in compiling historical cost data for projects.
- Experience with Balance of System (BOS) estimate structure for creation of proposals for large utility grade renewable energy power plant construction projects.
- Develops documentation of cost and schedule in support of the bidding process.
- Defines scope of work within a proposal.
- Gathers details and maintains current market data necessary to accurately estimate construction, material and soft costs associated with project construction.
- Receives, prioritizes, and distributes requests for quotes for construction proposals.
- Review quote requirements, works with design team to define engineering requirements, estimate quantities, and obtain quotes from subcontractors and suppliers.
- Familiarity with standard construction industry concepts, practices and procedures.
- Ability to drive innovation of new processes while supporting corporate standards for quality.
- Follows safety and security procedures and determines appropriate action. Reports potentially unsafe conditions and uses materials and equipment properly.
- Comfortable operating in a team environment working with third party customers, Developers, Design Engineers, General Construction Estimators, Pre-Construction Mangers, Construction Managers, and Executive Managers on a regular basis.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to recognize and recommend alternative designs/scope definitions which support consistency, standardization and cost competitiveness.
- Intermediate experience with the construction of utility grade renewable wind energy projects.
- Familiar with design build construction methods utilizing creative thought processes and experience to produce production based cost estimates with detailed costs for resource budget estimates.
- Ability to complete quantity take offs from construction plans.
- Experience with estimating software is beneficial, specifically HCSS suite of tools
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Office, and Excel.
- Able to evaluate site conditions from plans, geotechnical reports and/or site visits for creation of cost estimates utilizing best labor, equipment and material resources for most competitive and accurate proposal estimates. Able to apply varying levels of detail for both indicative and hard bid proposals.
- Intermediate skills in client and subcontractor interface and negotiation.
- Ability to travel to sites to review site conditions during the proposal phase, evaluate resources and production during the construction phase, and hold kickoff/closeout meetings with the Construction Managers.
- Intermediate communication skills with the ability to clearly describe the advantages and disadvantages of various design options.
- Self-starter and able to complete tasks with minimal supervision.
- Experience working with self-perform civil, underground electrical, heavy mechanical erection, and/or solar projects is highly desirable.
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Construction Management, or related field.
- Minimum of 2 years of estimating, or field based construction experience preferred.
Physical requirements and environment:
The work environment and physical demands characteristics are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Performs primarily sedentary office duties with occasional travel to other Company offices or construction sites. Incumbent may occasionally lift up to 10 pounds and may be required to sit, stand, walk and use a computer.
We maintain a drug-free workplace. Candidates will be required to pass a pre-employment background investigation and drug test as a condition of employment.
RES Americas is proud to be an EEO employer.