Renewable Energy Systems Ltd. (RES) is one of the world’s leading renewable energy developers, working across the globe to develop, construct and operate projects that contribute to a sustainable future. RES is now looking for a Technical Operations Manager with experience of global transformation.
The Technical Operations Manager will be an experienced technical hands-on Infrastructure specialist leading and mentoring the Technical Operations Team. The role is expected to be 70% leading, whilst the remainder being the senior technical hands-on specialist. You will be working within the wider Infrastructure team as well as with different teams globally including external vendors/contractors and key IT stakeholders to provide hands-on technical infrastructure expertise. This role requires experience of implementing global transformation projects.
The role will be accountable for 2nd/3rd line support, cloud utilisation, server, storage, database strategies, server patch management, infrastructure monitoring and continuous improvement. As well as contributing and owning the defined strategies you will be taking a strong hands-on approach implementing with a rollup sleeve attitude. This is an exciting time where you can make a mark on the RES group infrastructure platform.
RES Group is currently going through technical transformation where there are currently a high number of changes being introduced. The role will be integral to contributing to the infrastructure strategy where the goal is to simplify and standardise.
- Provide 2nd/3rd level infrastructure support ensuring a high quality service.
- Contribute as the technical expert on infrastructure design and standards that will aid the delivery of the IT transformation project.
- Use service management tools, Service Now, for incident and request fulfilment.
- Capacity management and relevant reporting with recommendations to address needs
- Operational management of key infrastructure components, servers, storage and network both LAN, WAN and SCADA.
- Management of cloud environment, including implementation and configuration. This will include introducing automation and template creation.
- Implement standards and best practices around infrastructure design and deployment. Own the associated strategies for servers, storage and databases.
- Operational monitoring of the infrastructure platform and key dependencies.
- Work with global team, sharing knowledge and collaborating on technology ensuring a common standard.
- Contribute to change management board around technical and process change assessing impact.
- Ownership and implementation of key infrastructure components.
- Lead/mentor technical operations team ensuring engagement and development. Hold regular team meeting, 121’s and reviews.
- Participate in on call rota
- Design and build VMware Server Virtulisation architecture
- Utilisation of cloud services such as Microsoft Azure or AWS.
- Creation of standard server build scripting and automation using the necessary tools such as power shell. Key areas will be workflows, build and destroy test services.
- Virtual Desktop Environment (VDI).
- Mobile infrastructure such as MDM e.g. Air watch or equivalent.
- Understanding of technologies to facilitate service availability and adherence to SLA’s
- Monitoring platforms such as Solarwinds, PRTG or equivalent. Must have experience of setting up from scratch and take accountability for this.
- Office infrastructure including WiFi, Print management, VC conferencing, Skype for Business.
- Office 365 infrastructure setup including AD federation.
- MS SQL, Mongo DB or equivalent.
- Working with multiple external IT vendors to execute projects.
- Understanding of server hardware and configuration, DELL, HP or equivalent.
- Networking – TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, VLAN, HTTP, TLS, WAN, VPN, MPLS
- Perimeter security – Firewals, Cisco, Sonicwall, Fortigate
- Understanding of Cisco Meraki, HP Procurve switch layout design and configuration including QOS, VLAN
- Dell Storage, such as compellent or similar technologies
This role requires regular, predictable and timely attendance at work to meet department workload demands.
- A very strong technical background with the ability to learn and apply
Must have good people skills and the ability to interact and communicate effectively across all levels of the organisation.
- Strong hands-on technical skills and the ability to mentor/coach.
- Proven ability to engage, build strong relationships, influence and partner with stakeholders across functions and geographies.
- Credible and capable; able to quickly build the confidence and be seen as a natural peer to other colleagues.
- Passionate about technology and the relevant application.
- A dynamic individual, with strong, proven delivery skills. Happy to take accountability.
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills
- Excellent negotiation and conflict resolution skills - A capable negotiator, both internally and with third parties.
- Not afraid to take ownership of difficult incidents and the ability to lead.
Experience - essential
- Proven experience working globally in the infrastructure technology space within geographically distributed medium sized organisations
- Proven design and build experience of technical platforms
- Leadership skills with experience of leading a small team and working in a matrix environment
- Minimum of 5 years' experience will be required for this role
- Must have a strong hands-on/technical knowledge of core Microsoft technologies including but not limited to Windows Servers, Active Directory, SharePoint, MS SQL and core Network/Cisco technologies like LAN/WAN, subnets, Firewalls, VLAN's, and VPN using Cisco Switches, Routers and ASA's, Firewalls, is required
- Must have a strong hands-on/technical knowledge of VMware/Hyper-V technologies, V Center Server, Update Manager, and desktop virtulisation
Qualification - essential
- Degree from an accredited university or a technical qualification or certification, with appropriate work experience
- Relevant technical qualifications, ITIL, Microsoft, VMware and Networking (HP, Cisco or equivalent)