The Data Scientist will be responsible for maintaining existing data stores, obtaining/procuring new data, develop creative algorithms and solutions to business problems. The successful candidate will demonstrate their ability to work with a wide range of software, particularly 3rd party software API’s, and develop structured models and applications.
Commercial awareness will be required to determine contextual value of analysis effort as well as being the basis for modelling optimisation. The role will be a combination of directly supporting the Development team along with more theoretical modelling and business strategy/expertise development.
RES prides itself on its technical capability and rigour and has an established data science team located throughout its international presence.
Australia is recognised now as a leading market for decarbonising due to deployment now occurring without government subsidies, the level of penetration into a thin grid, and the unprecedented level of available data.
Solutions developed through the Australian experience are being deployed globally. RES is building on its data science capability and the successful candidate will help inform and drive RES’ strategic direction through high quality analytics and modelling.
The Data Scientist will have responsibility for:
- Drawing on knowledge from all areas of RES’ business, use these data to provide business intelligence through advanced modelling and analytics.
- Build and maintain databases such as price data, renewable resource data, weather data, load profiles etc. to support modelling and analytics as required.
- Interface with development, project finance and engineering functions to inform on suitable strategies as well as to develop and optimise algorithms for their specific uses
- Using commercial needs as a driving force, build code bases which can be applied to different opportunities in the future
- Stay involved and aware of commercial driving factors in the rapidly changing power market in order to stay ahead of the curve
- Engaging with RES’ international data science teams to keep abreast of international developments and trends
- Creative, curious, self-motivated and the ability to solve problems with minimal input
Knowledge & Skills:
- Demonstrated understanding of the Australian electricity energy markets
- Knowledge of solar, wind and the technical modelling surrounding them
- Familiarity with Windows and Linux
- Excellent communication skills including report writing and presentations
- Creativity in a field which is new and rapidly evolving
- Ability and willingness to travel
Experience & Qualifications:
- Demonstrated diverse data side ETL strategies including webscraping and API usage
- Strong BI, analytics and visualisation (eg Tableau, Power BI)
- Timeseries modelling and algorithm development
- Cloud deployment experience (eg Azure advantageous)
- Degree in Engineering or other technical field