This role will seek to develop globally innovative solutions across the RES business with a primary focus on:
1. Leading RES’ business developments efforts in Australia to become the preferred supplier of Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs) in the Commercial / Industrial space.
2. Lead the developments of new offtake solutions across storage, solar and wind projects (e.g. flexible / firm power delivery, hedging strategies, development of aggregation platforms).
3. Structure the resultant transactions effectively for incoming debt and equity.
RES Australia, is a wholly owned subsidiary of RES Group, the world’s largest independent renewable energy company with a 13GW global portfolio of wind, solar and storage assets. Active in Australia since 2004, our office is located in Sydney with a business focused in 4 areas: wind, solar and storage development and construction/asset management. Over the last 2 years the Australian renewables market has expanded rapidly and the RES team has grown to over 50 staff.
This key position will be part of the Commercial Team and will be charged with managing a national business development remit working with a dynamic team of renewable energy professionals with the energy of a start-up, but with the support of RES' global capabilities in engineering, construction, transmission and system integration.
We require a proven ability to manage the business development process. By understanding the energy requirements of clients and translating this knowledge into solutions that RES can offer to the market, this person will lead on securing energy offtake solutions/agreements for RES projects.
Products and services offered alongside standalone storage, wind and storage projects are: integrated on-site solar, wind and energy storage (hybrid) products, software dispatch and control products, development services, engineering and analysis services and infrastructure investor support.
The successful applicant will be able to travel extensively (up to 50%) and manage multiple project opportunities in parallel.
- Monitor the offtake (PPA) market globally and share learnings with RES' global commercial teams to ensure best practice.
- Conduct market mapping and scanning activities to generate new business development opportunities with new and existing clients.
- Form and build strategic relationships and partnering opportunities with key contractors and clients across the retail, commercial and industrial sectors.
- Develop, maintain and grow senior level client relationships through regular contact and exceed expectations in the provision of new projects and services.
- Evaluate and manage RFP processes and bid strategy and development to closure.
- Work with transaction and analytical members of the Commercial Team involved in legal, debt and equity functions.
- Ensure business cases for new business streams and route to market opportunities are consistent, accurate and decisions on investment are made on the best information via a co-ordinated set of metrics, assumptions and outputs.
- Compile business, pipeline and project performance reports for the RES Australia business as requested by management.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Demonstrated understanding of the Australian electricity energy market.
- Understanding of solar and wind project development.
- Power Purchase Agreements (structure, terms etc).
- Key project finance documents.
- Advanced Excel skills for financial modelling & forecasting.
- Excellent communication skills; including report writing and presentations.
- Strong motivation to develop new business opportunities.
- Solid commercial acumen and business case development.
- The ability to develop novel approaches to problem solving.
Experience & Qualifications:
- Track record of business development in energy industries.
- Working with engineering teams to commercialise new technologies.
- Demonstrated proposal development capability.
- Exposure to contract negotiations.
- Must be comfortable speaking with Financial Institutions and familiar with Debt/Equity structures, project return requirements
- 5-7 years related experience.
- Hold a drivers license.
- Degree in Economics, Engineering, Finance or Mathematics, ideally at Masters level.