RES currently has two Solar PV Technician positions open in the Austin, TX / Manor, Texas area.
The successful applicant will be responsible for all field duties and functions needed to run a successful utility scale solar facility. The focus of this position will be electrical system diagnosis and repair, including DC and AC, as well as collection and delivery, vegetation management and module washing. Employee must be flexible to work in all other aspects required of plant maintenance, to ensure the project success.
Location: Near Austin, Texas
- Work collectively as part of small site team to ensure all tasks are correctly prioritized and delivered in a safe and timely manner at the highest quality.
- Act as the on call 24/7 first responder to all alarms and system non-performance.
- Write JSA, procedures and work instructions.
- Take direction, identify problems, develop solutions, and conduct analysis independently and in collaboration with others.
- Use and understand electrical testing and diagnostic equipment for both AC and DC.
- Ability to use electrical tools, hand tools and machinery, safely and efficiently.
- Troubleshoot and repair electrical and mechanical equipment and components.
- Trouble shoot and repair AC and DC issues; inverters, trackers, ac and dc wiring, sensors, PV modules, PV arrays etc. in a utility scale solar project.
- Replace components of; inverters, trackers, modules, sensors and electrical equipment in a utility scale solar project.
- Ability to use a CMMS system as well as spreadsheets for maintenance tracking.
- Properly keep and track facility tool and parts inventory.
- Properly keep and maintain site equipment.
- Uses material and equipment properly.
- Order replacement supplies as needed.
- Ability to use SCADA and other software control systems as well as diagnose system problems.
- Ensure project work complies and meets contractual standard requirements.
- Work in remote field conditions under all weather conditions with limited supervision.
- Ability to multi task.
- Available for 24-hour on-call duty to meet contractual requirements.
- Assist and adhere to the overall site safety policy, ensuring RES’s safety program is correctly implemented and followed.
- Assist with site safety meetings and site inductions.
- Write and review JSA, method statements.
- Initiate, participate and assist the management of LOTO.
- Interface with Subcontractors and Owners in a professional manner.
- Follow companies NERC compliance program as required.
- Interact with local transmission operator, balancing authority and ERCOT as required, in a professional manner.
- Ensure ground maintenance and vegetation control policies are adhered to as required.
- Assists tracking deliverables on site.
- Accurately completes and submits daily required paperwork.
- Follows safety and security procedures and determines appropriate action when needed. Reports potentially unsafe conditions immediately.
- Other duties as assigned by manager.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Intermediate knowledge in:
- Internal with Engineering, site teams, corporate office, supervisor
- Externally with sub-contractors and vendors
- Listening skills
- Relationship building
- Safety Training
- CMMS system for maintenance tracking.
- SCADA and other software control and diagnostic systems
- NERC requirements
- Read Electrical schematics and prints
- MS Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.), knowledge of SQL a plus.
- Time management to include:
- Setting and achieving work goals
- Understanding and setting priorities
- Setting and adhering to required deadlines
- Writing Reports
- Checking for Accuracy
- Maintaining Accurate Records
- Researching information
- Being thorough in all tasks and reporting
- Enforcing and adhering to Rules and Regulations
- Basic knowledge in:
- Fundamental knowledge of blue prints
- Knowledge of Solar Concepts and Principles
- Communication system troubleshooting
- Industry standards
- Inspecting Physical Objects
- Fundamental knowledge of heavy equipment
- Fundamental knowledge of Cranes rigging and lifting
- HS Diploma or GED required.
- College degree preferred.
- 2+ years’ experience in a related position.
- Available to travel to other sites on short notice.
- Must have a valid current driver license, eligible for corporate vehicle insurance coverage.
- Must be able to obtain a valid current passport to travel outside the U.S. as needed.
Physical requirements and environment:
The work environment and physical demands characteristics are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position involves Heavy Work: exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects in all weather conditions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers to handle, feel, lift and grab; reach with hands and arms; push and pull; climb and balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl; talk, see clearly and hear.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions.
We maintain a drug-free workplace. Candidates will be required to pass a pre-employment background investigation and drug test as a condition of employment.
RES is proud to be an EEO employer.