RES currently has a Solar Engineer position open in the Broomfield, CO office.
Provides conceptual and detailed designs of solar power plants and support development, engineering and construction of PV, CPV and CSP solar projects.
- Performs solar engineering role on specific projects to include contract review, progress tracking, and interdepartmental communications.
- Drafts and reviews specifications and construction documents using templates and defined processes, identifying process improvements as appropriate.
- Supports preliminary engineering tasks.
- Drafts and reviews utility scale solar power plant systems.
- Drafts and reviews equipment specifications, concept design drawings, site evaluations, electrical drawings and process flow diagrams.
- Drafts and reviews (MDP) Modular Deployment Plan
- Evaluates and deploys irradiance instruments at project sites.
- Drafts and reviews energy yield calculations using tools such as PVSYST, and NREL System Advisor Model (SAM)
- Drafts templates and reviews uncertainty analysis for energy yield.
- Drafts and reviews solar plant components and subsystems.
- Works with electrical and civil engineers.
- Works with designers to prepare construction drawings.
- Visits sites as needed during pre-construction and construction to support project needs.
- Follows safety and security procedures and determines appropriate action. Reports potentially unsafe conditions and uses materials and equipment properly.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Advanced level of knowledge in:
- Oral and written skills to include:
- Technical writing
- Ability to communicate issues to peers
- Clear and concise writing
- Interpersonal skills
- Ability to organize and prioritize work.
- Ability to think analytically.
Basic level of knowledge in:
- Power plant performance analysis
- General Electrical Design
- General Design for Constructability
- Familiarity with Industry best practices
- Substation concepts
- Transmission Line Design Concepts
- Grounding System Design Concepts
- Project Scheduling Concepts
- Equipment Specifications
- Detailed Design Software:
- Fundamental understanding of CAD concepts
- Fundamental knowledge of power system software such as PYSYST, Thermoflow, SAM, and Helio 3D
- MS Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.)
- BS degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, with a MS degree preferred (or equivalent 8 years of experience).
- One to five years experience in power generation industry (solar experience preferred).
- Must have a valid current driver license, eligible for corporate vehicle insurance coverage.
- Must be able to obtain a valid current passport to travel outside the U.S.
Physical requirements and environment:
The work environment and physical demands characteristics are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Performs primarily sedentary office duties, with occasional travel to Company offices or construction sites. Incumbent may occasionally lift up to 10 pounds and may be required to sit, stand, walk and use a computer.
Construction site environment includes early stage permitting, development and auditing through finished roads and features. Extensive travel with driving to remote sites along with office work in field conditions is also included.
We maintain a drug-free workplace. Candidates will be required to pass a pre-employment background investigation and drug test as a condition of employment.
RES is proud to be an EEO employer.