RES currently has a Senior Accountant - Equipment & Fixed Asset position open in the Broomfield, CO office.
Come join the world’s largest independent renewable energy company active in wind, solar, energy storage and transmission and distribution. Our vision is to be a leader in the transition where everyone has access to affordable low carbon energy. Being part of the RES team means shaping the world’s energy future.
RES offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, 401K + employer match, life insurance and AD&D, paid time off, paid sabbatical, paid parental leave, alternative work schedules, fitness center membership, tuition reimbursement, and professional development.
Summary: RES is one of the prominent developers and contractors of the growing renewables field. The Equipment and Fixed Asset Senior Accountant will support RES’ portfolio of wind, solar, and storage construction business in the US and Canada. The Manager will be responsible for understanding equipment department budgets, actuals, and forecasts, challenging forecast assumptions, communicating construction teams on processes, allocating equipment costs, analyzing equipment rates and units, preparing all equipment department reporting, cash flows analysis, operating lease tracking, financial analysis including buy/sell decisions, all other company fixed assets, reconciliations between systems, complying with equipment financing, and communicating/monitoring processes. Senior Accountant is expected to be the go-to financial person for fixed assets and construction equipment.
Budgeting & Forecasting:
- Develop annual budgets including staffing, equipment needs in subsequent years, utilization, repairs/maintenance history, recharge rates, and equipment mix of new/old to reduce costs.
- Be the business unit partner for equipment department. Support cost reductions, improvements, and efficiencies for the group. Point person focused on developing, reviewing, managing, and explaining the numbers.
- Monitor and review equipment department budgets. Challenge assumptions and forecasts. Track and raise issues monthly.
- Develop analysis tools to asset equipment performance and individual unit profitable. Provide guidance to business in buy/sell decisions for equipment
- Work with FP&A to develop, budget, review actuals, and provide forecast information for equipment department
- Manage and produce monthly KPIs for equipment department
Accounting & Compliance:
- Responsible for the monthly and annual compilation of equipment department financial statements, including Profit & Loss, Balance Sheet, CAPEX, and cash flows.
- Manage accounting and allocations for fleet, owned, and rented equipment to home department and projects (on an activity basis). Ensure all source records agree (ERP allocations
- Creating and posting journal entries and other month-end processes. Reviewing work to ensure accuracy and reconciling accounts monthly.
- Develop processes and train job sites on processes. Monitor processes to ensure compliance monthly. Communicate equipment rates with estimating and construction on a quarterly basis. Weekly and/or monthly meetings with construction PMs/CMs/Directors pertaining to equipment charges to projects.
- Reconcile equipment and fixed assets monthly between ERP system, HeavyJob, BNA fixed asset system, and Equipment group master list. Ensure existence of all assets and allocations to projects or home department are accurate. Reconcile equipment within PSRs (monthly project cost reports) to master equipment list. Ensure sites are properly forecasting equipment to end of project at correct rates.
- Prepare and manage various financial analysis related to equipment such as utilization, market rates, reconciliations of assets, production data (HeavyJob) to ERP recharge allocation reconciliations, cost analysis on equipment units, net book value, buy/sell analysis, or other analysis as requested by the business.
- Maintain company operating lease schedule in compliance with IFRS 16 Leases and US GAAP ASC 842 Lease Accounting.
- Read, comment, and comply with all construction financing documents
- Manage and review all intercompany related activity to equipment department
- Manage balance sheet reconciliations for equipment department and all other company fixed assets.
- Support year-end close and audit process related to operating leases, fixed assets (and all related disclosures), and equipment financing.
- Other tasks as assigned by the Accounting Manager.
- Follows safety and security procedures and determines appropriate action. Reports potentially unsafe conditions and uses materials and equipment properly.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent Excel skills and ERP experience developing reports and understanding big data.
- General familiarity in reading and interpreting commercial contracts and agreements.
- Experience within construction accounting and/or equipment & fixed assets. An accounting and financial analyst background is preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and strong critical thinking skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability and desire to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and to meet deadlines and complete time-sensitive duties, as assigned.
- Strong proficiency in other Microsoft Office products, including PowerPoint and Word.
- Experience with construction production software such as HeavyJob or fixed asset software such as BNA Bloomberg Fixed Asset (BNA) a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent. Finance, accounting or engineering major preferred.
- 2+ years of experience in power generation (renewables), construction (self-perform construction), or heavy civil strongly preferred.
Physical requirements and environment:
The work environment and physical demands characteristics are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Performs primarily sedentary office duties with occasional travel to other Company offices or construction sites. Incumbent may occasionally lift up to 10 pounds and may be required to sit, stand, walk and use a computer.
Construction site environment includes early stage permitting, development and auditing through finished roads and features. Extensive travel with driving to remote sites along with office work in field conditions is also included.
We maintain a drug-free workplace. Candidates will be required to pass a pre-employment background investigation and drug test as a condition of employment.
RES is proud to be an EEO employer.