RES currently has an Electrical Systems Engineer position open in the Broomfield, CO office.
Summary: Responsible for all aspects of (specialty discipline focus) interconnection for renewable energy projects with the transmission service providers.
- Liaises with project owners, developers and transmission service providers, clarifying interconnection requirements, compilation of engineering, procurement and construction specifications, on-site trouble shooting and equipment testing, factory acceptance testing of major equipment.
- General project support to construction and project management.
- Compilation of specifications for substations and transmission lines. Specifications include the following: Engineer, procure and construct (EPC) Engineering only Procurement only Construction only Protection and control philosophy Reactive compensation Harmonic filters
- Perusal and analysis of contract documents, interconnection agreements, system impact studies, scope of work documents, owner's specifications and other project related documents
- On-site testing of equipment, oversight on construction activities, physical installation of equipment and apparatus, troubleshooting and other construction related activities in order to support installation and commissioning of equipment.
- Factory acceptance testing, including traveling and customer interface. Factory acceptance testing is typically required for major substation components, such as main power transformers, circuit breakers, control buildings, switchgear (metal clad or gas insulated), grounding transformers and in some cases disconnect switches.
- Design review meetings with subcontractors and project owners/developers and their independent engineers. Design reviews typically include complete analysis of the designs, including design drawings, calculations and assumptions.
- Construction progress meetings and conference calls. These meetings include, but not limited to: Client, Construction, Engineering, Management, procurement, accounting, legal, contracts, subcontractors, suppliers, etc. These meetings typically require feedback regarding progress, identified problems, scheduling, etc.
- Support for developmental projects. Duties include meetings and conference calls with developers and other role players, perusal of interconnection documents, compilation of single line diagrams and substation layouts, other required support in order to get projects defined and initiated
- Support for bidding on possible projects. Duties include, single line diagrams, substation layouts, conference calls and meetings, site visits, etc.
- Master specifications and work instructions. Duties include revision of existing and creating new work instructions or Master specifications as needed. Liaison with various parties are required in order to obtain the needed information and to get buy-in from everyone affected by the revisions and new documents.
- Works independently, minimal supervision required.
- Follows safety and security procedures and determines appropriate action. Reports potentially unsafe conditions and uses materials and equipment properly.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced level of knowledge in:
- Internally with Civil Engineers / CAD Designers, Electrical / Mechanical Engineers / CAD Designers, Project Managers, Contract Team and Estimating Team
- Externally with Client and suppliers
- Oral and written skills to include:
- Technical writing
- Ability to communicate issues to peers
- Clear and concise writing
- Perform an review various power studies report including AF, LF/SC, Harmonics, Transient overvoltage, ampacity, stability and system grounding.
- General Electrical Design
- General Design for Constructability
- Substation Design
- Transmission Line Design
- Grounding System Design
- General Applications Engineering
- Masters degree or equivalent (or equivalent 12 years of experience)
- 10+ years of experience
- Professional Engineer license
- Must have a valid current driver license, eligible for corporate vehicle insurance coverage.
- Must be able to obtain a valid current passport to travel outside the U.S.
Physical requirements and environment:
The work environment and physical demands characteristics are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Performs primarily sedentary office duties with occasional travel to other Company offices or construction sites. Incumbent may occasionally lift up to 10 pounds and may be required to sit, stand, walk and use a computer.
Construction site environment includes early stage permitting, development and auditing through finished roads and features. Extensive travel with driving to remote sites along with office work in field conditions is also included.
We maintain a drug-free workplace. Candidates will be required to pass a pre-employment background investigation and drug test as a condition of employment.
RES is proud to be an EEO employer.