RES currently has an Electrical Estimator position open in the Carmichael, CA office.
Provides accurate, competitive cost estimates for substation electrical construction costs and schedules in support of the company’s Transmission and Distribution (T&D) construction business.
- Uses standardized tools and processes to prepare accurate, competitive and timely estimates of project cost and schedule.
- Working knowledge of resource and production expectations for underground electrical, substation controls, substation steel and bus work construction cost estimation.
- Ability to recognize and recommend alternative designs/scope definitions which support consistency, standardization and cost competitiveness.
- Familiar with reading plans and able to estimate quantities and units of work for electrical, civil, and structure erection self-perform works.
- Ensure quality and environmental procedures are maintained.
- Understands contract terms and can recognize discrepancies.
- Develops documentation of cost and schedule in support of the bidding process.
- Defines scope of work within a proposal.
- Gathers details and maintains current market data necessary to accurately estimate construction, material and soft costs associated with project construction.
- Receives, prioritizes and distributes requests for quotes from in-house developers and from third party construction bids to the team.
- Review quote requirements, works with design team to define engineering requirements, estimate quantities and obtain quotes from subcontractors and suppliers.
- Summarizes and puts into proposal form and provides complete project estimate spreadsheets.
- Familiarity with standard construction industry concepts, practices and procedures.
- Ability to drive innovation of new processes while supporting corporate standards for quality.
- Follows safety and security procedures and determines appropriate action. Reports potentially unsafe conditions and uses materials and equipment properly.
- Comfortable operating in a team environment working with third party customers, Developers, Design Engineers, General Construction Estimators, Pre-Construction Mangers, Construction Managers, and Executive Managers on a regular basis.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Intermediate experience with the construction of utility grade high voltage projects.
- Familiar with design build construction methods utilizing creative thought processes and experience to produce production based cost estimates with detailed costs for resource budget estimates.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office.
- Intermediate Excel knowledge for estimating and / or On-Screen takeoff software a plus. Experience with HCSS Heavybid and/or other estimating software for creation of estimates for self-perform construction works highly desirable.
- Able to evaluate site conditions from plans, geotechnical reports and/or site visits for creation of cost estimates utilizing best labor, equipment and material resources for most competitive and accurate proposal estimates. Able to apply varying levels of detail for both indicative and hard bid proposals.
- Advanced skills in client interface and negotiation.
- Ability to travel to sites or for client meetings and review of site condition as needed.
- Advanced communication skills with the ability to clearly describe the advantages and disadvantages of various design options.
- Self-starter and able to complete tasks with minimal supervision.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical, civil, structural or mechanical Engineering or 5 years equivalent experience or a bachelor’s degree in construction management with an emphasis in estimating.
- Minimum of 2 years of proven utility or industrial experience that includes a proven track record in self perform construction estimating.
Physical requirements and environment:
The work environment and physical demands characteristics are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Performs primarily sedentary office duties with occasional travel to other Company offices or construction sites. Incumbent may occasionally lift up to 10 pounds and may be required to sit, stand, walk and use a computer.
We maintain a drug-free workplace. Candidates will be required to pass a pre-employment background investigation and drug test as a condition of employment.
RES is proud to be an EEO employer.