RES currently has a Controls Engineer position open in our Broomfield, CO office.
Come join the world’s largest independent renewable energy company active in wind, solar, energy storage and transmission and distribution. Our vision is to be a leader in the transition where everyone has access to affordable low carbon energy. Being part of the RES team means shaping the world’s energy future.
RES offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, 401K + employer match, life insurance and AD&D, paid time off, paid sabbatical, paid parental leave, alternative work schedules, fitness center membership, tuition reimbursement, and professional development.
Summary: Control Engineer for Renewable Energy Systems Americas, Inc. (RES-Americas), an expanding Wind, Solar, Energy Storage, and Transmission company based in Colorado. Current projects are contracted and future projects are developing - MUST be willing to travel. Office location is Broomfield, Colorado. This position will be responsible for Power Plant Controller, Rockwell PLC programming, Control and Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) engineering on renewable energy power plants, battery system facilities and industrial/commercial buildings. Engineering experience with power and control systems, data acquisition and telecommunications is required. Field experience in Control systems, SCADA, power systems, testing/commissioning and/or telecommunications is a plus.
- Provide Power Plant Control and SCADA support on utility, distribution and demand side management projects for wind, battery and solar power systems during the development, construction and operations phases of each project.
- Design standard control and SCADA systems that include: PLC and SCADA architecture drawings, fiber optic one-line drawings, patch panel details, point’s lists, substation communication panel, O&M communication panel and overall communication plan.
- Generate control system design documentation including specifications, block diagrams, reports, testing/commissioning plans and quality/safety plans
- Understand and create Boolean logic diagrams that address efficient and safe operations
- Interpret renewable energy power plant electrical schematics, industrial/commercial building P&IDs, and battery system design
- Support the Sales/Development Department with preliminary design philosophy to support client relationships and new opportunities
- Generate contract documents (When necessary) that clearly define the scope of work and responsibility matrix for all subcontractors and equipment on the project.
- Design and provide quality assurance of Control and SCADA cabinets during production and installation phases
- Manage consultants and subcontractors for Control and SCADA phone calls, deliverables, testing, bill of materials, budgets, and system completion
- Working with our UK HQ RESolve team for Battery Storage software integration and implementation on storage projects. Perform Control and SCADA system installation inspections on wind, battery, and solar power systems as well as industrial/commercial buildings to confirm the systems have been installed per RES requirements and tested to meet RES, client, dispatch, utility and regional reliability council requirements.
- Work closely with the client’s team, as well as RES’ project manager, construction manager, electrical manager, and project engineer to guarantee a quality system is installed and tested to RES specifications
- Program building energy management systems, power plant substation Remote Terminal Units (RTUs), battery system PLCs, and communication hardware using standard ladder logic and network software and configuration files
- Troubleshoot power plant control and communication problems during construction and operations. Work will be done both remotely and onsite as needed.
- Support the operations group throughout the life of the facility to maintain reliability of the energy facility on the grid.
- Familiarity with and ability to stay current regarding changing regulatory requirements.
- Understand contract terms and ability to recognize discrepancies.
- Maintain project and department documentation in RES ECM database or other documentation control software.
- Responsible to ensure SAFETY requirements are met.
- Stay current with professional and industrial best practices.
- Regular attendance is an essential requirement of the job.
- Follow any other job-related duties/functions requested by the supervisor.
- Follow safety and security procedures and determine appropriate action. Report potentially unsafe conditions and use materials and equipment properly.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Control System Design
- Rockwell Control Logix programming
- Inductive Automation Ignition SCADA system
- Utility scale power plant controller
- Microsoft SQL servers
- Utility Scale Inverters
- Wind turbine SCADA and Power Plant Controllers
- Energy Storage Systems
- BS degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering.
- Must be willing to travel up to 50%
- Ability to read, write and communicate in English; other languages such as Spanish, French or Chinese a plus
- Minimum 3-5 years of proven utility or industrial experience that includes a proven track record of working on large capital-industrial construction projects.
- Needs the expertise and the necessary skills to interface with the client and will be instrumental in delivering on time, cost effective projects.
- Must be able to work professionally with clients, vendors, employees, managers and supervisors.
- Ability to work effectively with operations and other groups to ensure that project delivery and quality issues are met.
- Skilled in MSOffice (including Outlook and Visio), Matlab, Rockwell Software for ladder logic programming, Ignition software for HMI programming; skilled in AutoCAD a plus
- Employees must be physically capable of operating a vehicle safely, possess an appropriate valid driver's license, possess personal insurance coverage, and have an acceptable driving record.
Physical requirements and environment:
The work environment and physical demands characteristics are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Performs primarily sedentary office duties with occasional travel to other Company offices or construction sites. Incumbent may occasionally lift up to 50 pounds and may be required to sit, stand, walk, climb and use a computer.
Construction site environment includes early stage permitting, development and auditing through finished roads and features. Extensive travel with driving to remote sites along with office work in field conditions is also included.
We maintain a drug-free workplace. Candidates will be required to pass a pre-employment background investigation and drug test as a condition of employment.
RES is proud to be an EEO employer.