RES currently has several Commercial Manager I positions open. These positions can be home based or based out of the Broomfield, CO office. Both will require significant travel to our sites across the US.
Come join the world’s largest independent renewable energy company active in wind, solar, energy storage and transmission and distribution. Our vision is to be a leader in the transition where everyone has access to affordable low carbon energy. Being part of the RES team means shaping the world’s energy future.
RES offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, 401K + employer match, life insurance and AD&D, paid time off, paid sabbatical, paid parental leave, alternative work schedules, fitness center membership, tuition reimbursement, and professional development.
The Commercial Manager role is key to our successful project delivery. He/she works in close partnership with the Construction Project Management team to ensure that our Construction projects are delivered on time and on budget, with specific responsibility for budget control and project financial performance. Areas of responsibility include managing monthly reporting on project financial performance, on an earned value basis, contract and subcontracts compliance, cost tracking and forecasting costs to complete, invoicing, managing owner and subcontractor change orders and ensuring overall project controls are thoroughly implemented.
- Leads by example to show that safety is the most important function, ensuring that all employees follow safe practices while working.
- Accountable to continually reinforce safe behaviors and correct “at risk” behaviors.
- Evaluates all opportunities to grow profit on a project and works to take advantage of those opportunities.
- Analyzes reports for insights into how the project can adjust to improve performance.
- Prepares weekly and monthly project financials and briefs the Project Manager and Project Director on a regular basis to keep them informed as to project performance as part of working as a key member of a cohesive team.
- Assesses risks and makes recommendations for risk mitigation based on a thorough analysis of all factors involved in a project.
- Assists with managing the project plan, participates in project kick off, and close out meetings for the project.
- Assists with allocating budget, costs to date, forecasts cost to completion, procurement and materials management, and quantity take offs and verification of as builts especially for BOQ type projects.
- Has extensive knowledge of the prime contract and subcontracts and is familiar with all gaps, risks, opportunities and deliverables.
- Assists in the negotiation of subcontracts.
- Resolves issues with contracts and subcontracts.
- Communicates with the project team in relation to the contract terms, ensuring clarity as to the contract's financial aspects.
- Maintains a full understanding of all contractual obligations for the project and documentation of variances. Produces change orders and liaises with counterpart in client organization to ensure change orders are processed and approved by the client.
- Manage purchases of project related materials and equipment.
- Ensures that the overall terms of the main contract are passed on to the subcontracts.
- Development and submission of invoices under the prime and subcontracts to ensure optimal cash position for RES.
- Accountable for collecting data necessary for daily tracking of work completed.
- Participates in daily and weekly status and progress reports of construction on site.
- Creates the weekly and monthly Project Summary reports and presents the monthly project financial report to company management.
- Drafts change orders for scopes of work, schedule of values and schedules associated with both.
- Tracks all POs, invoices and RFI’s in the Accounting system, ensuring profit / loss integrity, with subcontractors and within the organization.
- Coaches Commercial Management support staff on best practices for managing contract issues and handling daily issues and tasks.
- Follows processes for systems and communication lines on site and ensure implementation is consistent.
- Foster a culture of continuous improvement.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Advanced level of knowledge in:
- Project controls, including planning and task direction, interpretation of a project schedule and scopes of work, project budgeting, analysis and forecasting, reporting on earned value
- Safety and OSHA requirements
- Relationship building and interpersonal skills
- Negotiation skills
- Working in a fast-paced environment
- Interpretation of scopes of work
- Estimating work efforts and forecasting costs to complete
- Change order management
- Leadership, mentoring and facilitating
- Collaborative working
- Decision making
- Construction contract management
- Sub-contractor, vendor and materials management
- Reporting, including writing skills
- Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PPT, Outlook, Visio)
- Job costing or accounting software – knowledge of Business World, HeavyJob and HeavyBid an advantage
- MS Project and P6
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting
- A minimum of 3 years of project controls experience in a construction environment
- Must have a valid current driver license, eligible for corporate vehicle insurance coverage.
Physical requirements and environment:
The work environment and physical demands characteristics are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Performs primarily sedentary office duties with occasional travel to other Company offices or construction sites. Incumbent may occasionally lift up to 10 pounds and may be required to sit, stand, walk and use a computer.
Construction site environment includes early stage permitting, development and auditing through finished roads and features. Extensive travel with driving to remote sites along with office work in field conditions is also included.
We maintain a drug-free workplace. Candidates will be required to pass a pre-employment background investigation and drug test as a condition of employment.
RES is proud to be an EEO employer.