RES currently has an Assistant Controller position open in the Broomfield, CO office
- This role is responsible for leading all general accounting; financial reporting/analysis; internal controls; technical accounting; commercial contract review; close; audit; and special projects as needed for the CFO and Controller.
- Company is in the exciting and growing renewable energy industry as a leading developer, contractor, and operator of wind, solar, and energy storage assets. Position will be exposed to many facets of technical accounting and complex contracts and legal/tax structures while undergoing an upgrade of our systems and processes.
- Candidate must be an exceptional organizer and manager.
Key management duties:
Leadership Accountabilities: Identify, deploy, and manage a high-performing team needed to accomplish business objectives. Provide a positive and engaging work environment by:
- hiring outstanding talent;
- receiving, organizing, and delegating lots of information and tasks in a fast-growing company;
- aligning individual and team objectives to department and company objectives;
- managing and supporting employee development and growth;
- providing regular and direct feedback on performance and goal progress.
- Assist in designing the optimal organizational structure to maximize team efficiency. Recruit and inspire team members as needed. Ensure a positive team environment.
- Establish goals for the team and individual employee, provide direction and evaluate employees to ensure efficient staff operations, growth and development.
- Monitor the team’s performance to ensure direct reports meet individual tasks, deadlines and perform to established standards.
- Effectively balanced workloads, assignments, and appropriately delegates responsibilities to staff.
- Manage team’s daily activities to ensure effective communication, collaboration, time management, and appropriate accounting treatment.
- Have a proven track record of successful management and ability to manage under tight deadlines and in a fast-paced, changing environment.
Key technical duties:
- Prepare and review the local and global financial statements for multi-level entities, manage financial reporting data submission and validation process, and present applicable portions of the monthly results to the accounting organization.
- Support the year-end financial statement audit, as well as any statutory audits or reviews, and address additional follow-up questions/inquiries with the auditors as they arise. Must possess good communication skills.
- Establishes appropriate accounting policies to be used in the preparation of financial statements and operating data, the coordination of systems and procedures and special reports as required.
- Manage and review all general accounting functions of the organization.
- Assist in developing stronger budget-to-actual reviews and data integrity checks. Transition time spent by team from accounting for historical to developing forecasts and leading business forward.
- Recommends and implements internal controls and process improvements within the accounting department as well as any other areas deemed necessary.
- Recommends and implements improvements to processes, productivity, increase efficiencies, cost cutting measures and help to build state of the art practices.
- Strong ERP and consolidation experience and understanding how systems interact with contracts and reporting. Assist IT team in system upgrades and migrations including project management, resource allocation, technical reviews and suggestions, data validation, and implementation execution.
- Assist staff in analysis and review of complex accounting transactions. May included complex JV structures and waterfalls, HLBV accounting, equity method accounting, derivatives, real estate/construction/energy accounting, long-term contracts, consolidations, revenue recognition, local/federal/international tax, transfer pricing, acquisitions and disposals, ARO, and impairments. Strong finance and tax knowledge a plus.
- Provides other company units with related information required by them to carry out their assigned responsibilities; provides outstanding support to commercial business leaders based upon each business units’ vision. Be a business partner.
- Consults with all segments of management responsible for policy or action. Makes recommendations for improving the effectiveness of policy or practices. Assists in developing company training programs to improve data integrity, forecasting, and processes. Assist the Controller in developing and executing the Finance team vision.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to manage under tight deadlines and in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Proven track record of successful management.
- A clear communicator with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Outstanding management skills
- Excellent time and project management skills with the ability to build strong cross-functional relationships and work collaboratively
- Proven ability to interact with senior level executives and external customers. Clear and concise communicator of complex information in simple terms.
- Thorough knowledge of IFRS and US GAAP. Preferred experience in an international company with consolidations and multi-currency.
- Intermediate to advanced skills for in ERP systems
- Advanced ability to interpret data and develop financial reports
- Advanced use of Microsoft office to include Excel, Word and Outlook
- Solid business and commercial acumen.
- Ability to interpret complex contracts.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- 10+ years of Accounting experience with increasingly responsible management experience within a public or private company to include a minimum of 5 years in a management role
- CPA strongly desired with Big 4, international, energy, and/or construction experience.
- Substantial experience in process improvement and internal controls
- Excellent technical GAAP/IFRS and financial reporting skills are required.Strong ERP system experience
Physical requirements and environment:
The work environment and physical demands characteristics are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Performs primarily sedentary office duties with occasional travel to other Company offices or construction sites. Incumbent may occasionally lift up to 10 pounds and may be required to sit, stand, walk and use a computer.
We maintain a drug-free workplace. Candidates will be required to pass a pre-employment background investigation and drug test as a condition of employment.
RES Americas is proud to be an EEO employer.