RES currently has a Vice President, Development position open in the Minneapolis, MN office.
Responsible for delivering the P&L results for the North Region Development office based in Minneapolis, Minnesota and for managing and coordinating RES’ business development activities throughout this region from site prospecting through commencement of construction. The focus of this position will be management and leadership of the North Region Development team to secure profitable wind and solar opportunities meeting RES’ project profile to build on the company’s position as one of the leading international renewable developers.
- Act as Accountable Lead Manager (ALM) to deliver North Development Region P&L.
- Accountable for all people management responsibilities for the regional development team.
- Identification, assessment and selection of potential renewable energy sites;
- Negotiation of project agreements related to the sale of electric energy, construction of the project, sale of project ownership interests (if this option is selected), etc.
- Management and supervision of RES, contract, and consultant personnel throughout the permitting process;
- Company representative with potential joint venture opportunities and the negotiation of agreements with partners;
- Management of regional joint ventures;
- Oversees the coordination of key people responsible for permitting, both locally and at the state level;
- Interaction with internal RES departments needed to deliver projects;
- Understanding of contract terms and ability to recognize discrepancies.
- Employees must be physically capable of operating a vehicle safely, possess an appropriate valid driver's license, possess personal insurance coverage, and have an acceptable driving record.
- Responsible to ensure SAFETY requirements must be met.
- Stay current with professional and industrial best practices.
- Must be able to work professionally with clients, vendors, employees, managers and supervisors.
- Regular attendance is an essential requirement of the job.
- Follow any other job-related duties/functions requested by the supervisor.
- Follows safety and security procedures and determines appropriate action. Reports potentially unsafe conditions and uses materials and equipment properly.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Have excellent knowledge of the permitting process for major infrastructure development at both State and Federal levels;
- Be able to manage multiple projects in multiple locations against tight timeframes and budgets;
- Have good project management skills and a highly organized approach to work;
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Be highly capable of managing internal and external resources;
- Have the ability to understand the internal and external environment within which RES operates and to act as RES’s representative as required;
- Have demonstrated commercial acumen, in addition to technical abilities, overall sound business judgement as well as the ability to direct the company’s regional business strategies in an increasingly competitive marketplace;
- Have the energy, drive, leadership and vision necessary to develop RES’s business; and
- Have a proven track record of successful negotiation skills relating to project development.
- Experience from within the energy industry where he or she has demonstrated the insight, vision and leadership to successfully develop electric generation projects in the US.
- Ability to understand the interconnection requirements for projects and to maintain good working relationships with utilities, their regulators, transmission system operators and other market participants.
- Ability to establish a project development and risk assessment processes that optimizes the use of development resources in a market with tight margins is essential.
- Ten years of energy project development experience
- Understand the changing energy and renewables marketplace in North America, and know how to generate targeted financial returns through creatively structured projects.
- Critical skills will include financial analysis, modelling, and the ability to develop and capitalize on key relationships within both business and governmental bodies.
- Extensive knowledge and capability to adapt to local culture and business practices will also be essential.
- ABILITY TO TRAVEL.
- Skilled in MSOffice and Outlook
- In summary, the VP, Development will have proven project development skills. The successful candidate will be of strong character, act in congruence with the RES values, and have a personable style, and the leadership and professionalism to oversee development activities to enable RES to continue strengthening its leadership position in the North American renewable energy industry.
- BS degree. An Advanced business or legal degree is preferred.
Physical requirements and environment:
The work environment and physical demands characteristics are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Performs primarily sedentary office duties with occasional travel to other Company offices or construction sites. Incumbent may occasionally lift up to 10 pounds and may be required to sit, stand, walk and use a computer.
We maintain a drug-free workplace. Candidates will be required to pass a pre-employment background investigation and drug test as a condition of employment.
RES Americas is proud to be an EEO employer