RES currently has an Estimator II position open in the Broomfield, CO office.
Provides accurate, competitive cost estimates for wind and solar construction projects in support of the company’s renewable energy development and construction business.
- Uses standardized tools and processes to prepare accurate, competitive, and timely estimates of project cost and schedule.
- Working knowledge of resource and production expectations for heavy civil, underground electrical, structure erection, and/or solar works for self-perform construction cost estimation.
- Ability to recognize and recommend alternative designs/scope definitions which support consistency, standardization and cost competitiveness.
- Complete estimates with minimal oversight
- Expert at reading plans and able to estimate quantities and units of work for civil, underground electrical, and/or structure erection self-perform works.
- Understands contract terms and is able to recognize discrepancies.
- Experience with Balance of System (BOS) estimate structure for creation of proposals for large utility grade renewable energy power plant construction projects.
- Develops documentation of cost and schedule in support of the bidding process.
- Defines scope of work within a proposal.
- Gathers details and maintains current market data necessary to accurately estimate construction, material and soft costs associated with project construction.
- Receives, prioritizes, and distributes requests for quotes for construction proposals.
- Review quote requirements, works with design team to define engineering requirements, estimate quantities, and obtain quotes from subcontractors and suppliers.Familiarity with standard construction industry concepts, practices and procedures.
- Ability to drive innovation of new processes while supporting corporate standards for quality.
- Follows safety and security procedures and determines appropriate action.
- Reports potentially unsafe conditions and uses materials and equipment properly.
- Comfortable operating in a team environment working with third party customers, Developers, Design Engineers, General Construction Estimators, Pre-Construction Mangers, Construction Managers, and Executive Managers on a regular basis.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Intermediate experience with the construction of utility grade renewable wind energy projects.
- Familiar with design build construction methods utilizing creative thought processes and experience to produce production based cost estimates with detailed costs for resource budget estimates.
- Advanced experience with estimating software, preferably HeavyBid.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Excel, and Project.
- Able to evaluate site conditions from plans, geotechnical reports and/or site visits for creation of cost estimates utilizing best labor, equipment and material resources for most competitive and accurate proposal estimates.
- Able to apply varying levels of detail for both indicative and hard bid proposals.
- Intermediate skills in client and subcontractor interface and negotiation.
- Ability to travel to sites to review site conditions during the proposal phase, evaluate resources and production during the construction phase, and hold kickoff/closeout meetings with the Construction Managers.
- Advanced communication skills with the ability to clearly describe the advantages and disadvantages of various design options.Self-starter and able to complete tasks with minimal supervision.
- Experience working with self-perform civil, underground electrical, heavy mechanical erection, and/or solar projects is highly desirable.
- Intermediate experience working with subcontractors to define scope of work
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Construction Management, or related field.
- Minimum of 3 years of field based construction management experience on self-perform utility projects.
- Minimum of 2 years of proven utility or industrial experience in self-perform construction estimating.
Physical requirements and environment:
The work environment and physical demands characteristics are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Performs primarily sedentary office duties with occasional travel to other Company offices or construction sites. Incumbent may occasionally lift up to 10 pounds and may be required to sit, stand, walk and use a computer.
We maintain a drug-free workplace. Candidates will be required to pass a pre-employment background investigation and drug test as a condition of employment.
RES Americas is proud to be an EEO employer.