RES currently has an Estimator, Heavy Civil Construction position open in the Broomfield, CO office
Renewable Energy Systems Americas Inc. (RES) is seeking a Heavy Civil Estimator to support a team of experienced estimators to prepare competitive renewable energy construction cost estimates, implement industry best practices, and perform heavy civil estimating for construction projects.
The Estimating Team is part of the Project Services Group within the Construction Department. The Project Services Group develops, implements, and supports standard processes and systems for RES construction projects. The Estimating Team collaborates with the Development and Construction Departments to prepare estimates for both RES developed, and third party developed construction projects. This includes working with RES’ engineering, marketing, and self-perform professionals; and with external suppliers and subcontractors to develop estimates. Estimators within the Estimating Team are assigned estimating responsibility for renewable energy construction projects, and they collaborate with others on continuous improvement initiatives.
- Uses standardized tools and processes to prepare accurate, competitive and timely estimates of project cost and schedule.
- Working knowledge of resource and production expectations focused on heavy civil activities, with secondary support to underground electrical, and/or structure erection work.
- Ability to recognize and recommend alternative designs/scope definitions which support consistency, standardization and cost competitiveness.
- Working knowledge of earthwork takeoff software and CAD file experience, ability to analyze proposed grades to optimize overall site balance of earthwork activities.
- Familiar with reading plans and able to takeoff and estimate quantities and units of work for heavy civil activities, with support to underground electrical, and/or structure erection works.
- Working knowledge of site work machine control files, ability to produce and export machine control files from earthwork software and upload to on site equipment.
- Ensure quality and environmental procedures are maintained.
- Understands contract terms and is able to recognize scope discrepancies.
- Experience with assembling (EPC) (BOP) (BOS) estimate structures related to large utility scale renewable energy projects.
- Develops documentation of cost and schedule in support of the bidding process.
- Defines or/and provides scope of work within a proposal.
- Gathers details and maintains current market data necessary to accurately estimate construction, material and soft costs associated with project construction.
- Review quote requirements, works with design team to define engineering requirements, estimate quantities, solicit and obtain quotes from subcontractors and suppliers utilizing (SBN) software.Summarizes and puts into proposal form complete project estimate spreadsheets as required.
- Familiarity with standard construction industry concepts, practices and procedures.
- Ability to drive innovation of new processes while supporting corporate standards for quality.
- Follows safety and security procedures and determines appropriate action.
- Reports potentially unsafe conditions and uses materials and equipment properly.
- Comfortable operating in a team environment working with third party customers, Developers, Design Engineers, General Construction Estimators, Pre-Construction Mangers, Construction Managers, and Executive Managers on a regular basis.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience with the construction of utility scale renewable energy projects highly desirable.
- Familiar with design build construction methods utilizing creative thought processes and experience to produce production based cost estimates with detailed costs for resource budget estimates a plus.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office highly desirable.
- Experience with On-Screen takeoff software a plus.
- Experience with earthwork takeoff software and CAD files highly desirable.
- Experience with (HCSS) Heavybid and Heavyjob software highly desirable.
- Able to evaluate site conditions from plans, geotechnical reports and/or site visits for creation of cost estimates utilizing best labor, equipment and material resources for most competitive and accurate proposal estimates.
- Able to apply varying levels of detail for both indicative and hard bid proposals.
- Advanced skills in client interface and negotiation.
- Ability to travel to sites or for client meetings and review of site condition as needed.
- Advanced communication skills with the ability to clearly describe the advantages and disadvantages of various design options.
- Self-starter and able to complete tasks with minimal supervision.
- Experience working with production based civil estimating, medium voltage underground electrical and/or heavy mechanical erection projects is highly desirable.
- Field management experience with mass grading construction operations for site and road construction is highly desirable.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical, civil, structural or mechanical Engineering or 5 years equivalent experience or a bachelor’s degree in construction management with an emphasis in estimating.
- Minimum of 3 years of proven utility or industrial experience that includes a proven track record in self perform construction estimating.
Physical requirements and environment:
The work environment and physical demands characteristics are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Primarily performs sedentary office duties with occasional travel to other Company offices or construction sites. Incumbent may occasionally lift up to 10 pounds and may be required to sit, stand, walk and use a computer.
We maintain a drug-free workplace. Candidates will be required to pass a pre-employment background investigation and drug test as a condition of employment.
RES Americas is proud to be an EEO employer.