RES currently has a Systems Engineer - Energy Storage position open in the Broomfield, CO office.
The Systems Engineer provides conceptual and detailed designs of chemical battery based energy storage systems and supports development, engineering and construction of energy storage projects. The Systems Engineer will work closely with team members in business development, estimating, engineering and construction from project inception into the construction works. This is a customer facing role.
The Systems Engineer will be accountable for delivering the complete engineering solution which includes:
- Understanding the project customer technical and commercial requirements to ensure all solutions maximizes value
- Gather project technical parameters and deliver engineering assessments of the site conditions (electrical, civil, structural, ground conditions, grid connections etc with support from others)
- Work with the project team to ensure that the optimum technology is selected
- Perform optimum sizing of battery systems and inverters
- Evaluate and record project technical risks
- Adapt selected technologies to specific project sites and prepare site arrangements
- Technical proposal scope and exclusions for battery and BOP
- Manage input from internal and external engineering resources to prepare all necessary specifications and drawings
- Complete Project Data Sheets and other engineering and construction documents using templates and defined processes, identifying process improvements as appropriate
- Complete/manage the Electrical and Civil Engineering verification documents using templates and defined processes, identifying process improvements as appropriate
- Work with information from procurement and estimating to support construction cost estimates and program
- Coordinate input with other RES departments such as engineering, technical, procurement, estimating and construction
- Prepare early stage cost estimates to support the business development team
- Continuously strive to adopt and develop lean processes that deliver project objectives and reduce waste within the business
- Add value and reduce costs (DEVEX, CAPEX and OPEX) for projects through efficient working, careful scoping, procurement and innovative engineering and design solutions
- Identifying and implementing cost saving ideas relating to the equipment works and interfaces that add value to the project through engagement with suppliers
- Coordinate construction level engineering and act as technical advisor for during construction
- Generate technical exhibits and assess system performance to support project and supplier contracts.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Basic knowledge of power inverters and Li- Ion batteries
- Organized and have excellent communications and technical specification writing skills
- Proficient in MS Outlook, Word, & Excel
- Willingness to travel to meetings with suppliers and owners as well as project sites
- Experience with grid scale energy storage a plus
- B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering, M.S. degree preferred
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in the delivery of multi-disciplinary engineering projects
- Experience with the coordination and leadership of engineering teams
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in the US or Canada preferred
Physical requirements and environment:
The work environment and physical demands characteristics are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Performs primarily sedentary office duties with occasional travel to other Company offices or construction sites. Incumbent may occasionally lift up to 10 pounds and may be required to sit, stand, walk and use a computer.
We maintain a drug-free workplace. Candidates will be required to pass a pre-employment background investigation and drug test as a condition of employment. RES Americas is proud to be an EEO employer.