RES currently has a SCADA Engineer position open in the Broomfield, CO office.
Description: SCADA Engineer for Renewable Energy Systems Americas, Inc. (RES-Americas), an expanding Wind, Solar, Energy Storage, and Transmission company based in Colorado. Current projects are contracted and future projects are developing - MUST be willing to travel. Office location is Broomfield, Colorado.
Purpose: This position will be responsible for control and SCADA engineering on renewable energy power plants. Engineering experience with power and control systems, data acquisition and telecommunications is required. Field experience in SCADA, power systems, testing/commissioning and/or telecommunications is a plus.
- Provide SCADA expertise on wind, battery and solar power systems during the development, construction and operations phases of each project.
- Design standard wind energy SCADA systems that include: SCADA architecture drawings, fiber optic one-line drawings, patch panel details, points lists, substation communication panel, O&M communication panel and overall communication plan.
- Design standard battery storage and solar control and SCADA systems that include: control and HMI cabinet, SCADA cabinet, SCADA architecture drawings, fiber optic one-line drawings, patch panel details, point’s lists, communication panel and overall communication plan.
- Generate contract documents that clearly define the scope of work and responsibility matrix for all SCADA cabinet manufacturers/supplier, SCADA equipment installers, Telco communication/fiber/T1 providers, and Utility/QSE, ISO…etc
- Quality assurance of SCADA cabinets during production and installation phases
- Manage consultants and subcontractors for SCADA phone calls, deliverables, testing, bill of materials, budgets, and system completion
- Work closely with the client’s team, as well as RES’ project manager, construction manager, electrical manager, and project engineer to guarantee a quality system is installed and tested to RES specifications
- Perform SCADA system installation inspections on wind, battery and solar power systems to confirm the SCADA system has been installed per RES requirements and tested to meet RES, client, QSE, Utility and regional reliability council requirements.
- Program substation RTAC units, battery system PLCs, and communication hardware using standard SCADA protocols such as Modbus TCP, DNP3 or IEC 61850 protocol
- Troubleshoot power plant control and communication problems during construction and operations. Work will be done both remotely and onsite as needed.
- Support the operations group throughout the life of the facility to maintain reliability of the energy facility on the grid.
- Familiarity with and ability to stay current regarding changing regulatory requirements.
- Knowledge of Demand Side Management (DSM) systems a plus.
- Understand contract terms and ability to recognize discrepancies.
- Maintain project and department documentation in RES ECM database or Aconex documentation control software.
- Employees must be physically capable of operating a vehicle safely, possess an appropriate valid driver's license, possess personal insurance coverage, and have an acceptable driving record
- Responsible to ensure SAFETY requirements are met.
- Stay current with professional and industrial best practices.
- Must be able to work professionally with clients, vendors, employees, managers and supervisors.
- Regular attendance is an essential requirement of the job.
- Follow any other job-related duties/functions requested by the supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to read, write and communicate in English; other languages such as Spanish, French or Chinese a plus.
- Minimum 2-5 or more years of proven utility or industrial experience that includes a proven track record of working on large capital-industrial construction projects.
- Need expertise and the necessary skills to interface with the client and will be instrumental in delivering on time, cost effective projects.
- Ability to work effectively with operations and other groups to ensure that project delivery and quality issues are met.
- Skilled in MSOffice and Outlook
- 25-50% travel
- Experience with SCADA software, SCADA historians, MS SQL servers
- Experience with communication protocols for base-level devices: Modbus, Modbus TCP, OPC, DNP3, SELFast, IEC 61850, ICCP… etc.
- Experience with automation control systems and PLCs
- Experience with automation device integration
- Experience with complete SCADA system project life cycles
- Experience with Power Utility scale SCADA system development and design
- Experience with Wind turbine SCADA and Controllers
- Experience with FAT and SAT testing and documentation
- Knowledge of Distributed GenerationKnowledge of Utility Meters, Substation RTAC, Protection Relays
- Knowledge of NERC CIP requirements
- Knowledge of Managed switches, Hirschman’s, MOXA, Cisco…etc.
- Knowledge of Power Plant Networking, Security and Firewalls
- Knowledge of Solar invertersKnowledge of Fiber optic cable installation
- Energy Storage Design
- BS degree in Electrical, Mechanical or Computer Engineering.
Physical requirements and environment:
The work environment and physical demands characteristics are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Construction site environment includes early stage permitting, development and auditing through finished roads and features. Extensive travel with driving to remote sites along with office work in field conditions is also included.
We maintain a drug-free workplace. Candidates will be required to pass a pre-employment background investigation and drug test as a condition of employment.
RES Americas is proud to be an EEO employer.