RES currently has an Energy Storage Manager position open in the Broomfield, CO
Summary: RES Americas is looking for a dynamic professional to drive the rapidly growing energy storage market in wholesale markets, for utilities, microgrids, and behind-the-meter energy applications.
This position will be responsible for identifying and evaluating new opportunities for energy storage projects throughout North America. The role will be filled by an individual with a deep knowledge of the electric power industry including, but not limited to, utilities, wholesale markets (ancillary services, energy, capacity, etc.), financial analysis, and energy policy (general and/or specific to energy storage). Ability to critically evaluate opportunities from an economic and technical standpoint, as well as strong communication skills, are essential. Basic understanding of energy storage and its applications is preferred, as is creative thinking regarding new energy storage applications. This role is interdisciplinary and the individual will interface heavily with the Analytics, Business Development, and Engineering teams.
Identify new markets, business cases and strategy for storage by researching:
- Market potential for storage in North American wholesale markets
- Current ISO/RTO market rules for storage and following proposed rule changes
- Utility integrated resource plans
- Assess the market and/or project economic viability through creation of complex simulation and financial models. Models will simulate the real-world operation of the storage projects, determine estimated revenues, and financial returns.
- Recommends potential market strategies, market potential, financials; resolving internal priorities, recommending investments, and examining risks and mitigation strategies
- Present new opportunities and/or strategies to senior management
- Support the business development team in analysis, proposal development, client relations
- Attend conferences, webinars, and seminars to network with prospective customers, partners, and other stakeholders
- Work directly with customers to model, simulate, and assess energy storage and power system solutions.
- Develop proof-of-concept studies, presentations, and reports.
- Experience analyzing, developing, and or deploying resources in wholesale energy markets and/or for utilities, at the distribution and/or transmission level.
- Understanding of wholesale market rules in ISO/RTO markets
- 8 + years of energy industry experience
- Knowledge of electric power system fundamentals - including but not limited to power flow, frequency regulation, voltage stability and power quality.
- Excellent quantitative skills, financial analysis abilities, and spreadsheet modeling.
- Understanding of battery energy storage technology, grid integration, and operation
- Able to successfully manage a wide spectrum of responsibilities and multiple projects independently or with limited oversight; consistently solve complex problems to move projects forward at any given stage.
- Self-motivated, ability to think strategically, strong problem solving skills, and adaptable to a dynamic environment
- Ability to work directly with customers to assess opportunities, leveraging RES’ technical expertise, and project development.
- Ability to Travel up to 30%. Based in the Broomfield, Colorado office.
- Experience registering, scheduling and bidding demand response and/or energy storage products into wholesale markets.
- Ability to identify and advocate for regulatory changes that advance the deployment of demand response, energy storage and other distributed energy resources.
- BS/BA Economics, Science, Engineering, or related field
- MBA preferred
Physical requirements and environment:
The work environment and physical demands characteristics are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Performs primarily sedentary office duties with occasional travel to other Company offices or construction sites. Incumbent may occasionally lift up to 10 pounds and may be required to sit, stand, walk and use a computer.
We maintain a drug-free workplace. Candidates will be required to pass a pre-employment background investigation and drug test as a condition of employment. RES Americas is proud to be an EEO employer.