The Technical Analyst (TA) role is a key role within the Technical department, combining elements of wind/solar resource analysis, storage (techno-economic) analysis, acoustics analysis and other general project technical work (across multiple technologies). The TA has responsibility for providing technical support to teams in all key markets and ensuring that task delivery is aligned with project programmes, budget and scope. The TA plays a key role in ensuring that RES remains lean, fit for purpose and sustainable within a competitive market.
The TA also has responsibility for delivering assessment to other RES businesses as necessary, using software, techniques and procedures to ensure that high quality/best practice is maintained in all tasks undertaken.
Finally, the TA has responsibility for research, development and delivery of new analytical tools for the business using the Python programming language.
The TA reports to either the Head of Technical Services or the SMART Systems Product Manager, within Group Technical. In order to be successful in a competitive market the TA will need to:
- work on projects throughout the RES regions and provide all required technical assessments in line with budgets, programmes, scopes and expectations
- support the drive to lean processes and reduced waste within Group Technical
- use the Python programming language and relevant libraries (e.g. pandas) for data analysis and creation of new analytical tools
- quality control of wind/solar/acoustic data prior to analysis
- early/late phase and simple/complex wind/solar resource assessments in all markets
- early/late phase energy yield assessments in all markets (wind and solar)early/late phase linear & non-linear (CFD) wind flow modelling.
- early/late phase storage (techno-economic) analysis
- time series modelling of resource (wind and solar), for assessment of grid, and other, constraints
- early/late phase and simple/complex acoustic assessments in all markets
- shadow flicker assessments
- turbine layout design (wind farms) and PV panel layout designs (solar farms)post construction analysis (wind and solar) – analysis of operational data
- technical support for Environmental Impact Assessments
- technical input into turbine supply and PV panel agreements
- liaison with RES Measurement Services
- adhering to best practice for all of the above technical assessments
- developing relationships inside RES to maintain a high level of knowledge and competency
- technical support for transactions and closing projects including management of technical due diligence and condition compliance
- ad hoc analysis and tool development using Python programming language and SQL.
- report template design using reporting engine
- support RES software user requirements gathering, technical specification and training
- continuous improvement of technical processes within the technical team
You have achieved an excellent degree result in Engineering, Physics, Mathematics or a related discipline and/or you have relevant work experience.
You listen to customer requirements and design solutions to meet their needs.
You understand the basic physics of wind and solar and can apply your physics knowledge to solve problems.
You have experience using a programming language such as Python, R or Matlab for data analysis.
Bonus points if:
You have a passion for renewable energy and want to play an active part in preventing climate change.
You have taken coursework in renewable energy or have experience working in the renewables industry.
You are familiar with SCADA systems for wind and/or solar farms