Working together with our in‐house development, engineering and construction staff and with our clients and contractors, the role will involve assisting in the design management of infrastructure, primarily in the marine environment. In addition, the role may involve the delivery of general project engineering services to external clients involved in the development and operation of offshore wind farms. Occasionally, technical analyses such as handling metocean data to perform construction weather downtime modelling will be required.
The role will also support the unit’s business development activities.
- Produce and/or undertake technical reviews of design basis, concept through to detailed design work and design risk assessments.
- Undertake technical reviews and/or carry out analysis of fabrication, transportation, installation and operations & maintenance strategies.
- Perform concept and FEED design studies of substructures to support wind turbine and substation foundations.
- Creation and review of technical specifications of structural monitoring systems and analysis or interpretation of monitoring data.
- Liaising with Independent Verification Bodies to achieve certification of designs.
- Contribute to the identification and resolution of interface issues.
- Metocean data interpretation, analysis and the specification of design parameters.
- Control of welding and corrosion strategy and design methodology in the context of supplier’s fabrication processes.
- Understand wider project aspects to ensure safe and cost-effective design of structures.
- Provision of project engineering services i.e. providing and/or coordinating the necessary input of engineering and technical support needed to deliver services including:
- Proactively identifying engineering issues, risks and mitigations.
- Producing and managing design plans.
- Producing calculations and reports.
- Reviewing project or package schedules to identify and plan engineering input.
- Monitoring engineering progress.
- Identifying and implementing areas of process improvement.
- Co‐ordinating engineering activities across a range of packages, liaising with contractors and supplier to achieve established quality standards.
- Support in the estimating of project costs, resource requirements and budgets.
- Responsible for work order management including reporting, budgeting and sign‐off of expenditure.
- Support or lead as appropriate the appointment and management of external consultants and contractors.
The role may at times require supporting other RES business units or working on other, non‐ offshore wind, projects on occasion as workload requires
- Robust engineering knowledge of offshore wind farm design and operation.
- Relevant offshore structural design codes and standards.
- Engineering of structural monitoring systems, corrosion, welding, metallurgy, bolting, grouting, etc.
- Structural dynamics.
- Marine structure design in steel and concrete.
- Fabrication, transportation and installation processes for offshore wind farms.
- Construction Design Management (CDM) regulations.
- Health and safety regulations within the offshore environment
- Drive design packages, while interfacing with 3rd parties, to achieve safe and cost-effective solutions.
- Logical and lateral problem-solving skills.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Good communication skills including report writing and presentations and the ability to communicate effectively with clients, contractors and consultants.
- Ability to:
- apply technical skills to problems in broader areas such as onshore, civil, coastal, etc,
- operate Python or similar Object Oriented Programming language,
- manage own workload and meet demanding timescales,
- adapt positively to changes in technology and the market,
- apply an innovative approach to design,
- work as a member of a team.
- Working to design codes and standards, understanding their limitations.
- Carrying out data analysis.
- Evaluating fabrication, transportation and installation processes for offshore wind farms.
- Working with Independent Verification Bodies.
- Delivering engineering and/or technical services to clients on complex engineering projects.
- Preparing and issuing tender packages for subconsultants and contractors and evaluating the responses.
- Working with structural monitoring systems and life extension planning (desirable).
- Offshore work environment (desirable).
- Experience in design & assessment of floating structures (desirable).
- Degree qualified in a relevant engineering discipline or equivalent.
- A current UK driving license.