As a company we are proud of our reputation as leaders in renewable energy and for demonstrating that a low carbon future is possible, affordable and desirable. The Software Team is a key part of this, providing bespoke software solutions across the global business. This includes developing and supporting software solutions for:
- Site selection and feasibility analysis.
- Technical analysis suites used to calculate the optimal design for a wind or solar farm, as well as predict the energy production and economic viability of a site.
- Asset management software, used to monitor and analyse the performance of operational sites
Role General Characteristics – Purpose
You will join the SMART (Site Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Tool) Systems team to support and develop software used during the operations of renewable energy projects. The applications supported by this team delivers functionality in the following areas:
- Retrieving and homogenising data from a wide range of operational renewable energy power plants
- Advanced analysis of operational data from renewable energy power plants
- Innovative interactive displays of live renewable energy data for RES' 24/7 control centre
- Providing flexible reporting solutions for internal and external clients (e.g. web dashboards)Provision of engineering analysis tools used to detect and prevent faults
We use Scrum and Agile working practices with 2 week sprints.
Our code is hosted on Github, and pull requests are an integral part of our workflow. We love open source technologies and have started to give back to the open source community by releasing our own projects like Nimrod, and plan to release new projects soon.
We use Jenkins Pipelines for our CI needs and are working hard towards enabling continuous delivery for all our apps. We use Azure to deploy external services and scale our on premises services.
You can learn more about what we do by reading our team blog.
We work at RES' award winning low carbon global headquarters, Beaufort Court. The office is less than 5 minutes walk from Kings Langley train station. The office includes a locker room with showers for runners and cyclists - there is a cycle to work support scheme and many country footpaths around the office for lunch time runs or walks.
Skills & Requirements
You understand users’ success criteria and design software to achieve their required outcomes
You have a degree in Computer Science, Science, Engineering or a related discipline and/or relevant experience as a software developer
You have experience working with .Net and C#, and database technologies (mainly SQL Server)
You are always keen to learn new things are not afraid to experiment with new technologies
You are comfortable discussing and implementing numerical algorithms
You believe in Test Driven Development and take pride in the quality of you code
Bonus points if:
You have a passion for renewable energy and want to play an active part in preventing climate change
You are familiar with SCADA systems and relevant protocols such as OPC
You know your way around Azure or AWS
You are familiar with python for web development and/or data analysis
You have experience working with another technology stack