Based in Glasgow, this role will have responsibility for managing the acquisition of all property agreements required for the development, construction and operation of wind and energy storage projects. This will involve taking the lead role in property negotiations and production of agreements from site inception through financial close and construction and into generation. The role will also be responsible for co-ordinating internal and external resources as required to secure the required agreements.
The focus will be on securing land agreements on time, managing risk for the business, reducing whole life costs, and adding value to the projects.
- Co-ordinate with other property managers across UK&I
- Co-ordinate with other members of the UK&I development project team
- Co-ordinate with RES legal team
Securing the land required by the project is crucial to a successful development. Property costs and risks are often significant and need careful management.
- Secure negotiated property agreements within the commercial constraints of the project and enable the development, construction and operation of all projects with a focus on reducing whole life costs.
- Negotiate appropriate terms which balance risk, quality and cost commensurate with the needs of the project.
- Provide property advice to the Project teams.
- Develop positive relationships with landowners, landowner’s solicitors and agents to maintain existing opportunities and seek new opportunities through a network of contacts.
- Manage the property transaction process within the framework of the overall project programme.
- Balance in-sourcing and out-sourcing of legal input to the property process to minimise costs.
- Instruct and manage external solicitors and agents.
- Produce draft property heads of terms and reach agreement on final terms.
- Provide support and advice to the UK&I Development Team to meet the needs of the project.
- Maintain an awareness of market rates, trends and influencing factors and devise a strategy to ensure RES’s offering is competitive in the market and appropriate for the returns delivered.
- Provide property support for transactions and closing projects including management of property due diligence.
- Maintain relationships internally with other property managers to ensure that best practice processes are developed appropriate to the lean business we are driving.
- Ensure internal approvals are obtained for all property documents.
- Contribute to the management of targets, project programmes and budgets.
- Have a working knowledge of property law and documentation.
- Extensive knowledge of option and lease documentation in the UK.
- Experience of renewable energy project land negotiations e.g. wind farms, energy storage and solar PV, is an advantage.
- Good working knowledge of key commercial drivers for the economics of an onshore wind farms and other renewable energy projects.
- Computer literacy with knowledge of Microsoft Office
- A strong team player, with good interpersonal skills
- An entrepreneurial approach and problem-solving abilities
- Strong project management skills
- Excellent negotiation and influencing skills
- Managing and co-ordinating inputs from project team members
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- Enthusiastic and able to work unsupervised
- Extensive experience in property acquisition & development and/or Landlord & Tenant negotiations for infrastructure projects, ideally onshore wind farms or other renewable energy technologies.
- A degree in estates management or equivalent experience, preferably with Chartered Surveyor status – general practice or rural.
- Clean UK driving licence and flexibility to travel throughout the UK & Ireland.