The Product Owner reports to the SMART Product Manager, within Group Technical. The Product Owner will work in a team which includes Software Developers, a Predictive Analytics Specialist and a CMS expert. The role’s impact will include capturing and improving on RES’ existing in-house capability for fault prediction (wind CMS). This capability needs to be scalable and applicable to a wider class of assets (e.g. solar and energy storage).
As a company we are proud of our reputation as leaders in renewable energy and for demonstrating that a low carbon future is possible, affordable and desirable. The SMART (Site Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Tool) team is a key part of this, providing bespoke software solutions across the global business. This includes:
- Retrieve and homogenize data from a wide range of operational renewable energy power plants
- Analyze operational data from renewable energy power plants, including data from Condition Monitoring Systems
- Provide flexible reporting solutions for internal and external clients (e.g. web dashboards)
- Provision engineering analysis tools used by specialists to detect and prevent faults
- Use machine learning and artificial intelligence to automate the application of specialist knowledge
- Follow safety and security procedures and determine appropriate actions. Report potentially unsafe conditions and use materials and equipment properly.
Role General Characteristics – Purpose
The Product Owner role is a key role within the SMART (Site Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Tool) team, combining elements of software development, business analysis and project management. The Product Owner role exists to steer the development of new software projects; they ensure software delivers the intended benefits so that RES can offer its clients market leading performance at market competitive cost.
The Product Owner has responsibilities including:
- Defines the intended outcome and benefits of the software project in collaboration with the users, customers and stakeholders
- Work with stakeholders and SMART team to define the user stories of the system and corresponding test cases. Organise relevant meetings and events such as annual SMART workshop.
- Prioritise user stories for implementation by the team
- Liaise with SMART team and stakeholders to create and communicate release plans
- Manage software release testing and define when new features are completed
- Organise scrum meetings (start up, wrap up, daily stand ups)
- Maintain the product backlog and communicate progress updates to stakeholders
- Solicit feedback from users and stakeholders and adjust the development plan accordingly
- Report progress and escalate any issues to the SMART Product Manager
- Deliver work which is applicable to wind, solar and storage assets in all markets
- Continuous improvement of technical processes within the technical team
We work at RES' award winning low carbon global headquarters, Beaufort Court. The office is less than 5 minutes walk from Kings Langley train station. The office includes a locker room with showers for runners and cyclists - there is a cycle to work support scheme and many country footpaths around the office for lunch time runs or walks.
Skills & Requirements
- You have achieved an excellent degree result in Engineering, Physics, Mathematics or a related discipline and/or you have relevant work experience.
- You have experience in Agile development as a Scrum Product Owner
- You are familiar with object oriented programming and test driven development.
- You are familiar with the Python programming language and relevant libraries (e.g. pandas, scikit-learn, keras)
- You listen to customer requirements and design solutions to meet their needs.
- You understand the basic physics of wind, solar and energy storage and can apply your physics knowledge to solve problems.
Bonus points if:
- You have a passion for renewable energy and want to play an active part in preventing climate change.
- You have taken coursework in renewable energy or have experience working in the renewables industry.
- You are familiar with SCADA systems for wind, solar and energy storage facilities
- You know your way around AWS or Azure