The Platform Specialist is responsible for providing 2nd and 3rd line support, monitoring and developing the infrastructure enabling business operations. The role will take responsibility for a wide range of infrastructure components from server to network. This is an exciting hands-on role where you will be able to make your mark on the infrastructure platform.
This role requires the candidate to be an expert in VMware and Windows server technologies as a primary focus.
You will work on escalations, assigned tasks and projects to help with technology transformation and continual service improvement.
The successful candidate will work closely with global IT team as well as wider business to develop and support the infrastructure platform.
- To provide excellent 2nd & 3rd line support that has been escalated through the service desk, line manager of other senior members of RES Group
- Ensure incidents are resolved, requests fulfilled, and problems investigated with appropriate resolution and contribution to the central knowledgebase.
- Communicate incidents effectively to peers and the management team. Assess the impact of incidents on impacted systems and come up with improvement plans.
- Improve and enhance call resolution and problem management, documentation, policies, troubleshooting guides, and internal procedures within IT.
- Contributing to the development infrastructure standards, processes and procedures, and guidelines to mitigate software, hardware, and networking issues.
- Support and design of the IT infrastructure and associated services, servers, networks, SAN, storage, client, VMware, VEAM, Windows, Active Directory, Azure and Group Policies. Perform upgrades and patch management of all infrastructure components taking into consideration outages and security.
- Standardise desktops, software deployment using appropriate toolset, SCCM. This is a new initiative and will require ownership.
- Monitor the infrastructure platform ensuring 5 9’s availability. As part of this the role will setup monitoring for new services.
- Deliver results from assigned projects taking ownership and accountability. Currently there are a number of initiatives when this role will be key, Co Lo migration, server and OS upgrades, virtualisation and Active directory remediation.
- Proactively enhance knowledge of new products and service technologies.
- Participate in on call rota as required
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Technologies, AD, DNS, Group Policy, Scripting, Windows Server 2003 up to 2016 Design and implementation: Virtualisation, VMWare and all associated components.
- Excellent understanding of WAN/LAN networking, firewalls, switches, routers
- Messaging technologies, O365, Exchange on-premise/on-line, Skype.
- Desktop PCs and mobile devices.
- Excellent knowledge of monitoring software, Solarwinds.
- Standard Office / Business software packages and systems
- Experience with incident and problem troubleshooting and escalation
- Familiarity with ITILv3 or related service delivery frameworks
- Business acumen
- Excellent customer service and quality management skills
- Excellent logical problem solving skillsExcellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Effective prioritisation and project management familiarity (as a team member)Curiosity and a desire to solve technical problemsSelf motivation.
Active Directory environments, including remediation workVMware administration
Setup up of switches and firewallsStorage and SAN, Dell CompellentExposure to windows Scripting Microsoft SCCM
Exposure to Azure, MS SQL implementation/administration.
Ability to interact successfully with people in a customer-facing role
2-5 years in a service operations role
2-5 years of experience and demonstrated understanding and troubleshooting of common infrastructure issues