This role is responsible for:
managing the project (including budget, programme and team management) and dictating project strategy up to point of planning consent;
managing and undertaking community relations and communications;
producing an Environmental Statement;
securing planning consent;
obtaining planning condition compliance; and
supporting planning compliance during construction and operation on projects assigned to them.
The Development Principal will work on at least 2 projects at any one time with the total number depending on project requirements.
This role is key to securing planning consent for a project, the stage at which most of the project’s profit is secured.
The Head of Projects will be the Development Principal’s line manager at all times. During the Post Consent Phase the Development Principal will report to the relevant Project Manager for project-related matters, and to the Construction Manager for project-related matters in the Construction Phase. This may be revised once roles are allocated.
- Add value and reduce costs (DEVEX, CAPEX and OPEX) for projects ensuring project viability on a subsidy free basis through efficient working, careful scoping, procurement and innovative engineering and design opportunities, recorded and managed through the Economic Model.
- Use lean processes to deliver project objectives and reduce waste
- Responsible for setting and managing the project programme in line with strategy to consent.
- Manage all risks on projects using appropriate tools and contracts.
- Responsible for project budget to point of consent: includes management of internal and external hours and costs.
- Responsible for screening, scoping and producing the planning application, normally accompanied by an Environmental Statement.
- Responsible for management of external consultants and internal technical or engineering support in relation to the project design, ES production, or condition discharge bundles.
- Responsible for management of property - ensuring property is secured on viable terms
- Coordination of engineering design, technical studies and grid requirements is needed along with a solid understanding of how to maximise profit and the probability of securing consent
- Responsible for planning submission and driving towards a consent
- Responsible for appeals process, which may involve management of a Public Inquiry
- Responsible for obtaining pre commencement planning condition discharge
- Responsible for obtaining any post consent planning variations
- Support obtaining other licences and permits required by the project
- Provide support for planning condition compliance throughout construction and operations.
- Accountable for ensuring project documentation and consultation is compliant with planning policy and EIA regulations.
- Communicate and record obligations on the project that have been agreed to or entered into (planning or otherwise).
- Managing external stakeholder relationships, including landowners, local community, planning bodies, local politicians and other key influencers including objectors, all consultees statutory or otherwise, grid companies, consultants, suppliers, regulators and media.
- Devise and implement an effective communications plan, with support from the Community Relations & Communications Principal, focussed on obtaining planning consent at least cost in minimum time whilst retaining RES’ reputation.
- Support development and implementation of storage and solar projects as appropriate to the location.
- Detailed knowledge of the drivers for a successful wind farm development and understanding of the common risks.
- Extensive knowledge of the planning systems and planning policy relating to renewable energy
- Knowledge of the appeals and public inquiry legal process.
- Knowledge of Environmental Impact regulations. Project economics
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- An entrepreneurial approach and problem solving abilities.
- Excellent project management skills
- Managing and co-ordinating inputs from external consultants and project team members. Excellent influencing and negotiation skills
- Successfully managing projects within resource and budget constraints.
- Experience of team coordination
- Successfully dealing with planning authorities and other project stakeholders, including landowners, general public, project contractors, external consultants and development partners.
- Production of Planning Applications, Environmental Statements and planning condition discharge bundles Experience of the appeals process including Public Inquires.
- Degree in an environmental, engineering, technical, planning or science based subject or equivalent