The Data Scientist role is a key role within the Technical department, combining elements of technical analysis, statistics and software engineering to project work across multiple technologies and markets. The Data Scientist has responsibility for providing data analysis and technical support to teams in all key markets and ensuring that task delivery is aligned with project programmes, budget and scope. The Data Scientist plays a key role in ensuring that RES remains lean, fit for purpose and sustainable within a competitive market.
The Data Scientist also has responsibility for research, development and delivery of new analytical tools for the business using Python and related programming languages.
The Data Scientist reports to the Head of Technical Services, the SMART Systems Product Manager or the TEC Systems Product Manager, within Group Technical. In order to be successful in a competitive market the Data Scientist will need to:
- use the Python programming language and relevant libraries (e.g. pandas) for data analysis and creation of new analytical tools
- help keep the team up to date with the latest developments in processing of large data sets, data visualisation and machine learning
- work on projects throughout the RES regions and provide all required technical assessments in line with budgets, programmes, scopes and expectations
- support the drive to lean processes and reduced waste within Group Technical
- ad hoc analysis and tool development using the Python programming language, SQL and related technologies
- reporting and visualisation of results for technical and non-technical stakeholders
- report template design using reporting engine
- analysis of operational data for wind, solar and storage assets
- time series modelling of resource (wind and solar), for assessment of grid, and other, constraints
- early/late phase energy yield assessments in all markets (wind and solar)
- early/late phase storage (techno-economic) analysis
- adhering to best practice for all of the above technical assessments
- developing relationships inside RES to maintain a high level of knowledge and competency
- technical support for transactions and closing projects including management of technical due diligence and condition compliance
- support RES software user requirements gathering, technical specification and training
- continuous improvement of technical processes within the technical team
- object oriented programming
- test driven development
- familiar with SCADA systems for wind and/or solar farms
- proficient in C# or similar language (desirable)
- experience of Agile development
- storage techno-economic analysis
- knowledge of applied statistics
- planning/development process for the supported RES markets
- Lean (e.g. A3 reports)
- Wind Flow Modelling (linear & CFD)
- energy yield and layout design process (wind & solar)
- Programming with R / Python and SQL.
- Computer literacy esp. Microsoft Word, PowerPoint & Excel
- Report template design using RES Reporting Engine
- Geographical information systems (ArcGIS)
- Good report writing skills (technical writing) and attention to detail
- Good team player
- Ability to solve problems independently
- Strong numeracy, statistics & physics. Comfortable with learning new concepts.
- Commercial Awareness, Commercial Modelling and RES Economic Model software.
- UK Driving Licence (desirable) Experience
- experience in using a programming language such as Python, R or Matlab for data analysis.
- Degree level qualification in Physics, Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering Science or related discipline or professional experience.