As a company we are proud of our reputation as leaders in renewable energy and for demonstrating that a low carbon future is possible, affordable and desirable. The Data Science team is a key part of this, providing bespoke analysis and tools to the global business. This includes:
Detailed simulation, sizing and algorithm design for energy storage and hybrid renewable projects
Comprehensive performance analysis of operational wind, solar and energy storage facilities
Application of statistical modelling, machine learning and artificial intelligence to large datasets to solve analytical problems across the global business
Prototyping new analytical software features in Python and related technologies
Applying data science capabilities to continuous improvement activities across the global business
The Data Science Manager role is a key role within Group Technical, combining elements of statistics, predictive modelling, machine learning, software engineering, leadership and project management. The Data Science Manager has responsibilities including:
- Line management of the Group Technical Data Science team including personal development, performance reviews and recruitment
- Coordinating R&D, team capability development and data science competitions
- Liaising with internal and external stakeholders to determine scopes of work
- Managing the team’s deadlines, priorities and communication to stakeholders
- Reporting and visualisation of results for technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Checking/approving data science deliverables
- Maintaining and improving team methodologies and tools
- Sustaining and enhancing the team’s culture of quality, collaboration, agility, efficiency and impact
- Promoting the Data Science capability within and outside of RES
- Representing RES externally at industry conferences and working groups
- Horizon scanning of latest statistical modelling, machine learning and artificial intelligence techniques through appropriate training and participation in data science community events or competitions (e.g. Kaggle)
- Continuous improvement of technical processes within the technical team
The Data Science Manager leads a team of Data Scientists and Specialists within Group Technical. The Data Science Manager ensures the team’s work is impactful and effective in reducing the cost of renewable energy and growing the business.
We work at RES' award winning low carbon global headquarters, Beaufort Court. The office is less than 5 minutes walk from Kings Langley train station. The office includes a locker room with showers for runners and cyclists - there is a cycle to work support scheme and many country footpaths around the office for lunch time runs or walks.
Skills & Requirements
- You have 5+ years experience as a Data Scientist or similar role
- You have line management or project management experience
- You are highly skilled in the Python programming language and relevant libraries (e.g. pandas, scikit-learn, keras)
- You have achieved an excellent degree result in Engineering, Physics, Mathematics or a related discipline
- You have experience developing and deploying predictive models, machine learning and artificial intelligence
- You are familiar with object oriented programming and test driven development
- You listen to customer requirements and design solutions to meet their needs
- You understand the basic physics of wind, solar and energy storage and can apply your physics knowledge to solve problems.
Bonus points if:
You have a passion for renewable energy and want to play an active part in preventing climate change.
You have taken coursework in renewable energy or have experience working in the renewables industry.
You know your way around AWS or Azure