Business development in Support Services is led by the Commercial Manager who draws on the support of a wide range of senior managers and specialists from within the business.
The Business Development Manager will be a full time member of the business development team and will work closely with the Commercial Manager and with each of the Profit Centre Managers and business leads on the securing of new business opportunities in the services delivered by Support Services: Measurement Services, Onshore Asset Management, Offshore Asset Management and Project Services.
Whilst the role will cover all services delivered by Support Services, there will be an emphasis on securing Onshore Asset Management and Project Services opportunities.
Working closely with the Support Services Commercial Manager, Profit Centre Managers and other business leads, including finance and procurement teams
Regular communication with target clients and external contractors; and
Communication with other groups within RES including Specialist Services, insurance and legal groups.
As a Business Development Manager for Support Services you will:
Understand, and contribute to the development of, the services to be offered, their costs (and cost models) and profitability;
Support the Commercial Manager and Profit Centre Managers in the development of the marketing plan in one or more profit centres;
Plan and deliver a programme of business development activity to meet revenue and profit targets;
Develop and maintain client relationships including preparing and delivering presentations to clients and identifying and generating opportunities to submit bids;
Evaluate partnering and acquisition opportunities with the Commercial Manager;
Lead the preparation of bids or support others preparing bids and manage relevant opportunities through to contract signature;
Be responsible for managing the overall programme of opportunities within one or more profit centres and ensure it is correctly recorded within the CRM database;
Support procurement activities for downstream contracts by providing detailed specification and pricing structure and liaising with the procurement team;
Evaluate technical capabilities and H&S record of relevant contractors.
Alongside the technical accountabilities, the role will also require:
Travel within UK and Europe; and Attendance at key and relevant conferences including presenting at public events to enhance Support Services’s visibility in the market.
· Knowledge of typical contents of a marketing plan for selling services in a B2B environment;
· Knowledge of business development process typically used for selling services in a B2B environment;
· Knowledge of the principles of key account management; and Knowledge of the UK offshore (wind) and/or onshore (wind/solar) renewable energy sectors, in particular the drivers of the cost of energy that service providers can influence.
· Excellent communication skills, particularly for leading teams drawn from across Support Services to develop tenders and for representing RES credibly and presenting our services clearly and positively in face-to-face meetings, presentations and written proposals with clients, contractors and other stakeholders;
· Strong numerical analysis skills required for developing cost models to for delivering technical services (such as asset management and O&M) under long term contracts;
· Strong research and strategic analysis;
· Good organisational skills to meet demanding timescales on a number of potentially simultaneous tenders and other business development activities; and Ability to use Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
· Experience in planning and delivering business development activities (with clients and contractors) for selling services in a B2B environment;
· Experience in preparing proposals; Experience of working within the UK offshore (wind) and/or onshore (wind/solar) renewable energy sectors
· A degree in mechanical or electrical engineering, or equivalent qualification is desirable, but a proven background in a relevant business development activity may be sufficient; and Hold a UK driving licence.