RES currently has a Project Engineer I position open in Oakville, ON.
Summary: Schedule and project controls management of a utility scale wind, solar, battery storage or transmission project. This is an office-based role, with potential site rotation for a short period (up to 6 months).
- Leads by example to show that safety is the most important function, ensuring that all employees follow safe practices while working.
- Accountable to continually reinforce safe behaviors and correct “at risk” behaviors.
- Ensures Job Hazard Analysis (JHA’s) occurs before scopes of work commence.
- Adheres to and ensures all site team members understand standard operating procedures.
- Leads and support the site team in technical, quality and safety, utilizing systems in place.
Client Relationship Management Accountabilities:
- Provides excellence in the management and delivery of the project, in-line with the client’s expectations.
- Strengthen and continually maintain client relationship.
- Supports preparation of the project budget and schedule prior to commencement of the project.
- Generates, maintains, tracks, and updates the project schedule on a weekly basis.
- Directs, guides, and coaches field engineers to ensure activities on site are understood in order to meet the project budget, schedule, and quality plan.
- Provides coordination of all work disciplines for the efficient and safe performance of the construction work.
- Understands all obligations under the project contract and the need for documentation of variances.
- Coordinates and manages the preparation, baselining, and updating of engineering, subcontractor and vendor schedules so that they are aligned with, and support, the project schedule.
- Works with the corporate Scheduler to establish the baseline project schedule and then updating that schedule to record actual progress.
- Directs, guides, and coaches Field Engineers to ensure activities on site are understood and following established processes through quality checks.
- Follows processes for systems and communication lines on site and ensure implementation is consistent.
- Communicates variances to clients and executive management.
- Manages Field Engineers.
- Create a culture of continuous improvement.
- Utilizes Safety Management Systems (SMS), Quality Managements Systems (QMS), Environmental Management Systems (EMS) and technical procedures.
- Performs audit functions to ensure compliance.
- Provide a positive and engaging work environment by:
- Align individual and team objectives to department and company objectives;
- Manage and support employee development and growth;
- Provide regular and direct feedback on performance and goal progress.
- Manages quality control program to ensure processes are implemented according to the plan are consistent.
- Communicates variances and changes to clients and Project Manager.
- Provides explanation of variances, and early warning of potential variances, to Project Manager.
- Manages and controls the generation, issuance, resolution, and close-out of requests for information, technical enquiry forms, and transmittals/submittals.
- Ensures that all superseded drawings, specifications, and other construction documents are marked as such, removed from the active construction and replaced with current versions.
- Ensures that construction drawings and specifications are transmitted to the correct parties.
- Ensures that field redline drawings of all construction work are maintained on site, and that final record drawings are generated upon completion of the project.
- Manages the issuance and resolution of non-conformance reports.
- Provides feedback to Project Manager to support continuous improvement.
- Liaises with client, engineering teams, subcontractors, and vendors at the direction of the Project Manager.
- Requires working outside on the active construction site performing audits and verification of data, performing safety inspections, and other similar supervisory-level activities.
- Provides the required documents, drawings and other forms to active projects for monitoring and maintaining the EMS.
- Supports developing projects to complete all required permitting activities before commencement.
- Ensures training is provided and certifications are maintained on field staff to comply with EMS requirements.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced level of knowledge in:
- Interpersonal skills
- Adaptability to environment
- Working in a fast paced environment
- QA/QC processes
- Understanding environmental concepts including permit requirements
- Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word, PPT, Outlook, Visio)
- HVAC systems
- Scheduling software ( MS Project, Primavera 6)
- Intermediate level of knowledge in:
- Construction site safety and EHSA requirements
- Relationship building
- Project Management
- Interpretation of project schedule
- Budget Analysis and Controls
- Interpretation of scopes of work
- Estimating work efforts
- Change Orders
- Project Permits
- Team building
- Mentor and Facilitator
- Decision making
- Continuous Improvement such as Lean, Six Sigma, Total Quality Management
- Interpretation state rules and regulations Sub-Contractor and vendor and materials management
- Construction drawing review
- Drawing Quantity Takeoff
- Engineering Management
- Communications, leading meetings, engaging teams, public speaking, presentations
- Creating logical and resource-loaded project schedules
- Planning and task direction
- Presentation skills
- Basic level of knowledge in:
- Project Finance
- Development of process and procedures
- Contract Management
- Job costing or accounting software
- Bachelor degree in Mechanical or Civil engineering or minimum of eight years of relevant experience.
- Must have two to five years of relevant experience.
- Available for occasional travel to the corporate office.
Physical requirements and environment:
The work environment and physical demands characteristics are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Primarily performs sedentary office duties with occasional travel to other Company offices or construction sites. Incumbent may occasionally lift up to 50 pounds and may be required to sit, stand, walk and use a computer.
We maintain a drug-free workplace. Candidates will be required to pass a pre-employment background investigation and drug test as a condition of employment.
RES is proud to be an EEO employer.