RES currently has a Senior Estimator position open in the Montreal office
Manages accurate, competitive cost estimates for wind and solar construction projects in support of the company’s renewable energy development and construction business.
- Manages a team to prepare accurate, competitive, and timely estimates for individual wind and solar Request for Proposals.
- Uses standardized tools and processes to prepare accurate, competitive and timely estimates of project cost and schedule.
- Ability to recognize and recommend alternative designs/scope definitions which support consistency, standardization, and cost competitiveness.
- Understands contract terms and is able to recognize discrepancies
- Develops documentation of cost and schedule in support of the bidding process.
- Defines scope of work within a proposal.
- Gathers details and maintains current market data necesary to accurately estimate construction, material and soft costs associated with project construction.
- Receives, prioritizes and distributes requests for quotes from in-house developers and from third party construction bids to the team
- Determines impacts to estimates based on local labor requirements, commodity pricing, and client requirements.
- Review quote requirements, works with design team to define engineering requirements, estimate quantities and obtain quotes from subcontractors and suppliers.
- Manages bid proposals documents to meet client requirements
- Summarizes and puts into proposal form and provides complete project estimate spreadsheets.
- Familiarity with standard construction industry concepts, practices and procedures.
- Produce cash flows based on project estimate and schedule.
- Create project budget from estimate files for use by Construction Management
- Ability to drive innovation of new processes while supporting corporate standards for quality
- Follows safety and security procedures and determines appropriate action. Reports potentially unsafe conditions and uses materials and equipment properly.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Understanding of work breakdown structures (WBS)
- Intermediate experience with the construction of utility grade renewable wind and solar energy projects
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office
- Advanced skills in HeavyBid or similar estimating software
- Advanced skills in client interface and negotiation
- Ability to travel for client meetings
- Advanced management skills to manage interface between team members, clients, and subcontractors
- Advanced communication skills with the ability to clearly describe the advantages and disadvantages of various design options
- Self-starter and able to complete tasks with minimal supervision
- Advanced experience working with subcontractors to define scope of work
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Construction Management, or related field.
- Minimum of 2 years of field based construction management experience on self-perform utility projects.
- Minimum of 5 years of proven utility or industrial experience in self-perform construction estimating.
- Certification with ASPE preferred
Physical requirements and environment:
The work environment and physical demands characteristics are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Performs primarily sedentary office duties with occasional travel to other Company offices or construction sites. Incumbent may occasionally lift up to 10 pounds and may be required to sit, stand, walk and use a computer.
We maintain a drug-free workplace. Candidates will be required to pass a pre-employment background investigation and drug test as a condition of employment.
RES is proud to be an EEO employer.