RES currently has a Project Engineer I position open for it's sites in Ontario
Summary: Schedule and project controls management of a utility scale wind, solar, or transmission project. This is a site-based role, typically located in remote locations that can be subject to extremes of weather and temperature, and requires living away from home.
Leadership Accountabilities: Identifies, deploys, and manages a high-performing team needed to accomplish business objectives. Provides a positive and engaging work environment by:
- hiring outstanding talent;
- aligning individual and team objectives to department and company objectives;
- managing and supporting employee development and growth;
- providing regular and direct feedback on performance and goal progress.
- Consistently reinforces that safety is critical, ensuring that all employees follow safe practices while working.
- Supports preparation of the project budget and schedule prior to commencement of the project.
- Generates, maintains, tracks, and updates the project schedule on a weekly basis.
- Directs, guides, and coaches field engineers to ensure activities on site are understood in order to meet the project budget, schedule, and quality plan.
- Provides coordination of all work disciplines for the efficient and safe performance of the construction work.
- Performs project controls checks to ensure the work is being implemented according to the project schedule.
- Holds accountability and responsibility for establishing the baseline project schedule and then updating that schedule to record actual progress, forecast completions, and identify remaining float in a timely manner and with accuracy, and provide regular reports to the Project Manager, Project Cost Engineer, and senior management.
- Communicates variances and changes to clients, Project Manager, and senior management.
- Provides explanation of variances, and early warning of potential variances, to Project Manager and senior management.
- Manages personnel in a stressful environment to ensure work is the focus and to keep employees engaged.
- Understands all obligations under the project contract and the need for documentation of variances.
- Coordinates and manages the preparation, baselining, and updating of engineering, subcontractor and vendor schedules so that they are aligned with, and support, the project schedule.
- Works with the Field Engineers and the engineering teams to resolve technical and engineering queries that arise from the field.
- Manages and controls the generation, issuance, resolution, and close-out of requests for information, technical enquiry forms, and transmittals/submittals.
- Ensures that all superseded drawings, specifications, and other construction documents are marked as such, removed from the active construction and replaced with current versions.
- Ensures that the construction work is being performed to the most current and approved versions of all construction documents.
- Ensures that construction drawings and specifications are transmitted to the correct parties.
- Ensures that field redline drawings of all construction work are maintained on site, and that final record drawings are generated upon completion of the project.
- Ensures that all necessary permits for construction are procured in a timely manner and are in hand to support the construction work and the project schedule.
- Manages the issuance and resolution of non-conformance reports.
- Provides feedback to Project Manager, senior management, and other company support and services departments, to support continuous improvement.
- Liaises with client, engineering teams, subcontractors, and vendors.
- Communicates via: in-person conversations, email interactions, site reports, meetings and teleconferences as needed.
- Requires working outside on the active construction site performing audits and verification of data, gathering other data, performing safety inspections, and other similar supervisory-level activities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Advanced level of knowledge in:
- Construction site safety and OSHA requirements
- Interpersonal skills
- Quality assurance processes
- Reading prints and drawings, and taking off quantities
- Supervising surveying and staking out work
- Interpretation of scopes of work
- Use of computer software, including the Microsoft Office suite and other proprietary systems
- Working in a fast paced environment
- Working in a stressful environment
- Creating logical and resource-loaded project schedules
- Planning and task direction
- Engineering management
- Mathematics and science
- Writing skills
- Presentation skills
- Bachelor degree or minimum of eight years of relevant experience.
- Must have two to four years of relevant experience.
- Available for occasional travel to the corporate office.
- Must be a Resident of Ontario
Physical requirements and environment:
The work environment and physical demands characteristics are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Construction site environment includes early stage permitting, development and auditing through finished roads and features. Extensive travel with driving to remote sites along with office work in field conditions is also included.
We maintain a drug-free workplace. Candidates will be required to pass a pre-employment background investigation and drug test as a condition of employment.
RES is proud to be an EEO employer.