RES currently has a Counsel position open in the Montreal office.
In-house legal counsel with 7+ years of experience to be located in Montreal. Provides counsel on rights and obligations pertaining to complex legal matters to protect the Company’s legal interests.
- Prepares and reviews legal documents prior to execution to accurately convey the Company’s intent.
- Advises on and negotiates commercial and construction contracts, service agreements, leases, letters of intent, partnership agreements, joint venture agreements and transactional contracts, including asset/securities purchase and sale agreements, debt and equity financing and mergers and acquisitions.
- Identifies risks and proposes commercial terms to mitigate these risks.
- Reviews legal publications and pending legislation and advises management of changes that impact the Company.
- Assists with contractual issues related to development of renewable energy projects, including power purchase and interconnection agreements
- Manages external legal resources to ensure quality and consistency of service on a cost-effective basis.
- Assists in preparation of board papers summarizing transactions and risks and participates in board meetings as required to communication transactional structure and risks to the board. Follows safety and security procedures and determines appropriate action.
- Reports potentially unsafe conditions and uses materials and equipment properly.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced skills in reviewing, negotiating and drafting commercial contracts with little supervision.
- Advanced understanding of renewable energy project development, M&A, construction, and finance.
- Advanced skills in assessing commercial risks and developing solutions.
- Advanced ability to prioritize and complete multiple projects.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills (English and French) to work professionally with executives, clients, vendors and staff.
- Bachelor’s degree and an LLB or JD from an accredited law school.
- Licensed to practice law in Canada.
- A minimum of 7 years legal experience in construction and commercial law.
- Experience in renewable energy.
Physical requirements and environment:
The work environment and physical demands characteristics are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Performs primarily sedentary office duties with occasional travel to other Company offices or construction sites.
We maintain a drug-free workplace. RES Canada is proud to be an EEO employer.