The position is for a Legal Counsel working as part of RES Australia’s legal team based in Sydney, Australia.
The role is responsible for providing legal advice and support to the relevant business units within RES Australia Pty Ltd and reporting to the Contract and Risks Manager.
The role will mainly assist/support the commercial and project development teams within RES Australia (comprising onshore wind, battery storage and solar) but also a wider group of operations, procurement and technical teams.
The role will have a broad remit covering project development, commercial, financing and projects work, including drafting and negotiating commercial contracts, finance contracts, joint ventures, sale and purchase agreements, and assisting with financial close of complex transactions.
The role will mainly assist/support the commercial teams within RES and also the wider group of project development, procurement, operations and technical teams.
Close co-operation and liaison with RES personnel and teams will be a fundamental part of the role.
- Managing a varied caseload.
- Assisting other members of the RES legal team and relevant business teams.
- Drafting agreements and negotiating terms.
- Providing ad hoc legal and commercial advice typical of an in-house position.
- Liaising with and managing external legal advisors, ensuring quality and consistency of service.
- Reviewing documentation prepared by external legal advisors, identifying and reporting on potential risks in contracts.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the Australian legal system.
- Experience gained with a reputable practice dealing with large scale infrastructure projects.
- Will have trained at a respected firm or company.
- Computer literate with knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Able to work confidently and pro-actively in a team and alone.
- Approaches work with diligence and attention to detail.
- Previous in-house experience is not essential, but the candidate must be an excellent communicator with the ability to work alongside a range of commercial and technical personnel, sharing a genuine interest in RES' business and future.
- Minimum +4 PAE required.
- A strong project, corporate and commercial background.
- Experience in negotiating and drafting a wide variety of commercial, M&A, finance and/or projects agreements.
- Ideally, the candidate will have experience of working in the renewable energy industry.
- Qualified lawyer, admitted to practice law in Australia.
- Strong academic credentials.