Managing and developing grid connections strategies, grid innovation, supporting engineers within the Technical team in relation to grid matters, working with industry stakeholders including statutory bodies to influence and develop grid policy.
This role will cover all RES technologies i.e. wind, solar and storage.
- Creating a successful relationships with relevant industry bodies, including network operators.
- Identify opportunities for RES technologies to unlock opportunities including those within the transmission and distribution networks.
- Development and deployment of novel techniques to minimise the impact of grid limitations on RES projects in order to increase profitability.
- Development and deployment of innovative solutions to multi-technology connections e.g. wind, solar and storage.
- Supporting grid negotiations for individual projects to minimise commercial and technical risks.
- Troubleshooting on grid matters.
- Working with the grid team to develop RES Australia’s grid strategy for successful project development.
- Provide guidance on RES’ grid connection offer/modification processes.
- Keeping abreast of regulatory and commercial issues and advising on how these may impact on the development project business plans.
- Evaluate and participate in the negotiation of grid connection methodologies with the responsible NSP, asset owner, AEMO, regulators and other key stakeholders.
- Supporting lobbying and policy development in relation to contestable works and participation in transmission (e.g. RIT-T).
- Continuously strive to adopt and develop lean processes that deliver project objectives and reduce waste within the project delivery teams and wider organisation.
- Add value and reduce costs (DEVEX, CAPEX and OPEX) for projects ensuring project viability on a subsidy free basis post RO availability through efficient working, careful scoping, procurement and innovative engineering and design solutions.
- Ensure delivery of company interests in joint ventures and across grid connection subgroups.
- Oversee project activity including BoP requirements and BoP tenders.
- Provide support to project teams as required to meet project development demands.
- Co-ordinate with multi-disciplinary teams to support project financing requirements. Provide grid related inputs to project financial models.
- Provide input to long-term strategic planning process and complete grid feasibility studies for new ventures.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Strong understanding of Power Systems design.
- Understanding of policy development in the area of power systems regulation and design, and ability to interface with key stakeholders.
- Understanding the commercial drivers of successful projects, particularly in relation to grid CAPEX, transmission and distribution charges.
- Understanding of the renewables market in Australia.
- Strong power system engineering, ideally with network planning/design capability.
- Excellent ability to network and nurture relationships with external grid providers.
- Working across multi-discipline teams.
- Understanding of financial analysis and producing financial reports.
Experience & Qualifications:
- Experience of network planning and key NSP issues.
- Technical and commercial experience in the management of grid connections at a distribution or transmission level.
- Experience of regulatory issues.
- Experience of working in a project delivery environment, ideally in wind energy.
- Experience in negotiating on technical issues.
- Track record in end-to-end delivery of grid connection project components from design through to commissioning compliance.
- Degree in appropriate technical discipline or equivalent experience.