This role will seek to develop globally innovative solutions in energy storage, solar and wind to enable RES’ clients to create a low emissions future.
RES Australia, is a wholly owned subsidiary of RES Group, the world’s largest independent renewable energy company with a 13GW global portfolio of wind, solar and storage assets. Active in Australia since 2004, our office is located in Sydney with a business focused in 4 areas: wind, solar and storage development and construction/asset management. Over the last 2 years the Australian renewables market has expanded rapidly and the RES team has grown to over 40 staff.
This key position will be part of the Energy Storage Team and will be charged with managing business development efforts within the Utility and Project Development channels. Focus will be on exploring new market models in dispatchable energy, prospecting for new customers, leveraging relationships to build on the team’s growing project pipeline, working through technical, contractual and financial elements, closing transactions and achieving positive financial results for our customers and the business.
This individual would be responsible for a national business development remit working with a dynamic team of renewable energy professionals with the energy of a start-up, but with the support of RES’ global capabilities in engineering, construction, transmission, and system integration. Products and services offered include integrated on site solar and energy storage (hybrid) products, software dispatch and control products, engineering and analysis services, execution services, and energy storage optimisation services.
We require a proven ability to manage the sales & business development process, to travel extensively (up to 50%), to manage multiple project opportunities in parallel, and to communicate effectively.
- Support the Head of Energy Storage with the formulation of the Energy Storage Business Development strategy.
- Conduct market mapping and scanning activities to generate energy storage opportunities with new and existing clients.
- Contribute to new product development and localisation of RES’ energy storage innovation road map.
- Maintain accountability for a business development pipeline of activity.
- Develop, maintain and grow senior level client relationships through regular contact and exceed expectations in the provision of energy storage products and services.
- Form and build strategic relationships and partnering opportunities with key contractors and third parties.
- Evaluate and manage RFP processes and bid strategy and development to closure.
- Work with solar and wind project development teams to ensure energy storage solutions are incorporated into RES hybrid projects as appropriate.
- Monitor the energy storage and project development market (globally) and share learnings with RES’ global energy storage team to ensure best practice.
- Compile business, pipeline and project performance reports as requested by management.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Demonstrated understanding of industrial scale energy storage.
- Demonstrated understanding of the Australian electricity energy markets.
- Demonstrated knowledge of electric utility concepts, practices, and procedures (including procurement) and significant knowledge of electric utility business practices, issues faced and can contribute to problem resolution of those issues.
- Understanding of solar and wind project development.
- The ability to travel within Australia and globally.
- Excellent communication skills including report writing and presentations.
- Strong motivation to develop new business opportunities.
- Solid commercial acumen and business case development.
- The ability to develop novel approaches to problem solving.
Experience & Qualifications:
- Track record of business development in energy industries.
- Working with engineering teams to commercialise new technologies.
- Crafting and closing complex solution sales in intelligent grid or energy management technologies.
- Demonstrated proposal development capability.
- Exposure to contract negotiations.
- 5-7 years related experience.
- Hold a drivers license.
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical and/or electrical engineering would be beneficial.
- MBA preferred but not required.